Date:	Sun, 10 Aug 2008 18:05:35 -0600
From:	Grant Grundler <grundler@...isc-linux.org>
To:	Matthew Wilcox <matthew@....cx>
Cc:	Bdale Garbee <bdale@...com>,
	Grant Grundler <grundler@...isc-linux.org>,
	Adrian Bunk <bunk@...nel.org>, kyle@...artin.ca,
	linux-parisc@...r.kernel.org, linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org,
Subject: Re: [2.6 patch] binfmt_som.c: add MODULE_LICENSE

On Sun, Aug 10, 2008 at 09:14:33AM -0600, Matthew Wilcox wrote:
> > If that is indeed the timing, I agree.  If not, let me know, and I'll
> > see if I can push the right buttons in HP.
>
> http://cvs.parisc-linux.org/obsolete/linux-2.2/fs/binfmt_som.c?rev=1.8&view=log
>
> indicates I first committed the file in June 1999 and was the majority
> committer to this file (prumpf also committed some code).  My last
> commit to it was in November 1999 (while I still worked for Genedata).

Ok - I didn't realize that.

> At some point around then, we moved to the 2.4 CVS tree:
>
> http://cvs.parisc-linux.org/linux-2.4/fs/binfmt_som.c?rev=1.21&view=log
>
> and there are some commits from other people at HP and myself while at
> Linuxcare and HP.

Thanks for digging this up.
I expect it should be easy for Bdale to get this rubber stamped
by any one of the HP linux kernel engineers.  HP legal shouldn't
need to be involved.

> The 2.5 development tree:
> http://cvs.parisc-linux.org/linux-2.5/fs/binfmt_som.c?rev=1.3&view=log
>
> doesn't show anything of great interest.
>
> and the 2.6 tree represents accurately how much effort we put into SOM:
> http://cvs.parisc-linux.org/linux-2.6/fs/binfmt_som.c?rev=1.8&view=log
>

> So while HP has a legitimate claim to some parts of the file, my initial
> contributions before I worked for Linuxcare or HP were the largest and I
> don't think that anyone has a legitimate claim that this is not a
> derived work of GPL code, and hence I think Adrian's patch should be
> accepted.

I agree and apologize for my bad memory and lazy attitude. I didn't mean
to make a big deal of this - just assumed HP was the right party to
address this to.

cheers,
grant