Date:	Wed, 13 Aug 2008 18:14:28 +0200
From:	Stefan Richter <stefanr@...6.in-berlin.de>
To:	Alan Stern <stern@...land.harvard.edu>
CC:	Oliver Neukum <oneukum@...e.de>, Pavel Machek <pavel@...e.cz>,
	kernel list <linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org>,
	James.Bottomley@...senpartnership.com, teheo@...ell.com
Subject: Re: Power management for SCSI

Alan Stern wrote:
> On Wed, 13 Aug 2008, Oliver Neukum wrote:
>> Am Mittwoch 13 August 2008 16:59:23 schrieb Alan Stern:
>> > Is the USB transport unique in its requirement that all the child
>> > devices must be suspended before the link can be powered down?  Maybe
>>
>> All children that are USB must be powered down. We know in fact that most
>> drives don't care that the device is suspended. The problem was drive
>> enclosures that cut power upon suspension losing cached data.
>
> You misunderstood my question.  Are there SCSI transports other than
> USB sharing the requirement that all child devices must be suspended
> before the link can be powered down?

Yes in case of FireWire; it's necessary there too (but not sufficient).

(It's a bad example though since I have no good idea whether power
management beyond (a) system suspend and (b) disk spindown is feasible
in reality at all.)

[...]
>> So do we really want to do autosuspend on the device level? Or do we work
>> on hosts and just use the suspend()/resume() support of the sd, sr, ... etc?
>
> For transports which are like USB, we should do autosuspend at the
> target (not device) level.  This means invoking the suspend/resume
> routines of the ULDs like sd and sr.  The transport gets notified when
> all of the targets are suspended.  (Or maybe the host driver gets
> notified instead; there probably isn't any advantage to using the
> transport class here.)
>
> For other transports, we should only do idle-timeout detection.  The
> transport gets notified when any target has been idle for sufficiently
> long, so that it can power down the link.  The ULDs are not involved.
>
> Does that sound okay?

Minor correction:  The ULD suspend/resume methods necessarily work on
logical units, not targets.
--
Stefan Richter