Date:	Wed, 13 Aug 2008 16:03:57 -0400
From:	"Leisner, Martin" <Martin.Leisner@...ox.com>
To:	"Alan Stern" <stern@...land.harvard.edu>,
	"Oliver Neukum" <oneukum@...e.de>
	"kernel list" <linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org>, <teheo@...ell.com>,
	<James.Bottomley@...senpartnership.com>,
	"Pavel Machek" <pavel@...e.cz>,
	"Stefan Richter" <stefanr@...6.in-berlin.de>
Subject: RE: [linux-pm] Power management for SCSI

Regarding these scsi suspend patches, there's a general
problem to drop power on disk devices on a running system.
I discussed it in:

http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/linux/kernel/811598

We have a sequence:
    a) stop further block requests
    b) sync the disk (and sync the cache -- there was talk on and off
       for several years about sync not realling syncing)
    c) drop power on the disk

We tweak the ext3 mount timeout and the /proc/sys/vm settings to put
the computer into laptop mode.

When a read comes along, we reverse the process...(or a forced write
which generally won't happen).

But we need to add patches to the device driver and the block layer to
enable this...it seems useful if there was a more generic way to
handle it...maybe registering a callback to reenable power and a
mechanism
to start the poweroff sequence...

We've done this in 2.6.20, I wonder if there's any work along these
lines in recent kernels (I'm going to look at 2.6.2[67]...)

Marty

LLD