Date:	Sun, 17 Aug 2008 15:30:10 -0700 (PDT)
From:	david@...g.hm
To:	Pavel Machek <pavel@...e.cz>
cc:	rmeijer@...all.nl, Peter Dolding <oiaohm@...il.com>,
	Theodore Tso <tytso@....edu>,
	Arjan van de Ven <arjan@...radead.org>,
	Alan Cox <alan@...rguk.ukuu.org.uk>, capibara@...all.nl,
	Eric Paris <eparis@...hat.com>, Rik van Riel <riel@...hat.com>,
	davecb@....com, linux-security-module@...r.kernel.org,
	Adrian Bunk <bunk@...nel.org>,
	Mihai Don??u <mdontu@...defender.com>,
	linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org, malware-list@...ts.printk.net
Subject: Re: [malware-list] [RFC 0/5] [TALPA] Intro to alinuxinterfaceforon
 access scanning

On Sun, 17 Aug 2008, Pavel Machek wrote:

>>> Given recent demonstrations that show how easy it apparently is to bypass
>>> blacklist base approaches, providing hooks to allow these blacklist
>>> approaches may I feel be rather futile. Focusing only on hooks for white
>>> list approaches in combination with hooks for least authority approaches
>>> like the powerbox would IMHO seem like a much more reasonable approach
>>> given the current state of things and knowledge concerning the blacklist
>>> technologies. Explicitly adding support for technology that is quickly
>>> becoming obsolete would seem like a waste of time and resources.
>>
>> we are not providing hooks for blacklists or whitelists, we are providing
>> hooks for scanning. it's up to the software that doesn the scanning to
>> implement the blacklist or whitelist.
>
> Actually, I don't think so.
>
> If we wanted to whitelist permitted binaries, approach would be
> something like "lets sign them"... and it seems IBM is working on
> something like that with TPM infrastructure.

the structure I proposed would support this as well.

your 'scanner' program would do the signature and store it somewhere and
mark the file as being scanned.

on access the checking software would see that you have marked it as being
scanned and can avoid the overhead of reading the entire file to check
it's signature (or you can configure it to do the full check again)

if the file gets written to the tag would get cleared and the file would
not be used without being blessed by your scanner again (and your scanner
my bless it if what happened was an OS update where the new file matches a
known signature)

not quite as straightforward as you were probably thinking (you were
probably thinking somthing like 'store the signature and have the kernel
check it each time the file is opened'), but this would have the option of
being faster by skipping the signature check if the file was tagged as
already being checked.

David Lang