Date:	Sat, 30 Aug 2008 16:40:20 +0200
From:	Frans Pop <elendil@...net.nl>
To:	Alan Stern <stern@...land.harvard.edu>
Cc:	Kernel development list <linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org>,
	Kernel Testers List <kernel-testers@...r.kernel.org>,
	USB list <linux-usb@...r.kernel.org>
Subject: Re: [regression] usb: sometimes dead keyboard after boot

On Saturday 30 August 2008, Alan Stern wrote:
> On Fri, 29 Aug 2008, Alan Stern wrote:
> > > Does this sound at all logical and feasible?
> >
> > The first proposal is feasible; I can write a patch to implement it.
> > How much it will end up helping anything isn't clear, though.
>
> Here's the promised patch.  Be warned, I haven't tested it at all.

The patch seems to do exactly what I was looking for! Details further
down, but first some other comments.

My first boot with your patch was with brltty still enabled. The log
showed the right result, but I wanted to get a cleaner log without all
the USB suspend/resume noise caused by brltty. So I disabled brltty's
init script and rebooted.

This gave a totally unexpected result: ehci now got loaded and initialized
_before_ uhci which of course avoids the problem altogether (see attached
log: dmesg_ehci-first). So apparently brltty's init script was
responsible not only for the suspend/resume noise, but also influenced
the load order of the two USB drivers.
And apparently when things are left alone ehci _will_ be loaded before
uhci, but that does not match what you described in earlier mails as it
means the PCI bus order isn't followed. Confusing...

Anyway, this meant that to test your patch I had to try to get uhci to
load first again. This turned out to be simple: just adding uhci_hcd
in /etc/modules did the trick. The result is in dmesg_uhci-first.

That log shows what was desired, at least 3-1 and 4-1 get disconnected
cleanly and I get no error messages to the console. Yay!

I added two extra printk's around the usb_wait_for_khubd_idle call to show
the exact effect of the wait (look for "khubd_idle" in two messages).
These seem to show what was wanted: both keyboard and mouse are detected
during the wait.

But it also shows a few events on bus 3 and 4 that happen after I get
khubd_idle that seem to indicate the probe on that bus is not completely
finished and that could maybe still cause "problems". But maybe I'm just
reading it wrong and those events are part of the lead up to the
disconnects for the hand-off.

Anyway, I'm quite happy with the result, so:
Tested-by: Frans Pop <elendil@...net.nl>

Last note FYI. I had another case of "dead keyboard" this morning, again
with the "reset low speed USB device" message in the log. Unfortunately
this was before I enabled USB debugging (and obviously before I had
applied the patch).
I will now revert the patch and keep USB debugging enabled to see if I can
catch this bug properly. I'll send the debug log when I do.

Cheers,
FJP

View attachment "dmesg_ehci-first" of type "text/plain" (42833 bytes)

View attachment "dmesg_uhci-first" of type "text/plain" (46527 bytes)