Date:	Sun, 14 Sep 2008 10:27:10 -0400
From:	Steven Toth <stoth@...uxtv.org>
To:	Markus Rechberger <mrechberger@...il.com>
Cc:	Manu Abraham <abraham.manu@...il.com>, linux-dvb@...uxtv.org,
Subject: Re: [linux-dvb] Multiproto API/Driver Update

Markus Rechberger wrote:
> On Sun, Sep 14, 2008 at 1:31 AM, Manu Abraham <abraham.manu@...il.com> wrote:
>> Markus Rechberger wrote:

>>> they're heavy into moving the whole framework over as far as I've seen
>>> yes, also including yet unmerged drivers.
>>
>> Using the same interface, the same applications will work there as well
>> which is a bonus, but isn't the existing user interface GPL ? (A bit
>> confused on that aspect)
>>

> I think it's good to have something that competes with Linux, I talked to some
> guys at that front too, and they seem to work close with application
> developers too
> As for the em28xx driver I agreed with pushing all my code (in case of
> linux, which
> includes unmerged independent drivercode from manufacturers) into their system
> using their license.

Something that competes with Linux, absolutely, I could not agree more -
especially if the licenses are compatible and cross O/S pollination of
ideas/code can occur. Everyone benefits from this.

Hauppauge had a guy from the BSD community contact us and ask for
datasheets for certain parts. Part of the problem, as I understand it,
is that the BSD folks can't port the GPL license into BSD because it's
not compatible.

I owe it to myself to spend somehime reading the BSD licencing. Maybe
the GPL is compatible with BSD.

Just my 2 cents.

- Steve