Date:	Mon, 15 Sep 2008 07:50:25 +0200
From:	Julian Scheel <julian@...st.de>
To:	Andy Walls <awalls@...ix.net>
CC:	Manu Abraham <abraham.manu@...il.com>, linux-dvb@...uxtv.org,
Subject: Re: [linux-dvb] Multiproto API/Driver Update

Andy,

just to clarify things a bit I'll give a short statement now.

Andy Walls schrieb:
> Though I can't read much German, after looking at the jusst.de website I
> can't help but think that you as well have financial interests driving
> your actions.  If so, then your statements display quite a bit of
> hypocrisy.

The role of jusst technologies in the whole multiproto story is as
following:
The time when DVB-S2 came up this was of course of major interest for
jusst technologies, so we searched for people working on drivers. At
that not many people did seem to care about this stuff - but Manu did.
So we got in contact and tried to help him as much as we can, which
included making up connections to KNC1 for technical questions and
datasheets, provide a KNC1 testing board and later then give free
web/codespace to Manu.
Furthermore we of course did lots of testing of multiproto. But never we
did pay Manu for any of this work.
Reading that you should recognize that there can't be much financial
interests for Manu.

Seeing that you impute hyprocrisy to Manu due to "facts" you don't have
proven in any way makes me a bit contemplative. I don't like being
political when talking about technical terms (which linuxtv in first
place should be about imho) - anyway this one time I will give a
somewhat political statement, too.
All you guys who are blaming Manu to do some wrong or bad stuff, what is
your point? - I see you searching quote where Manu did talk in a
somewhat unpolite manner just to blame him of being the wrong person
introducing a new API? - I have no interest in doing the same quoting
with your postings or the so called competitors postings, but I'd bed I
could quote almost any of you in a not less distracting manner than you
like to do with Manu.
> Manipulating (i.e. stalling) the timing of Multiproto being merged into
> the v4l-dvb tree or kernel, for you or your employer's gain, would be
> little different from the motivations you allege Steve of having.
>
> Since the major gripe I'm reading on the list "is that multiproto has
> taken too long" and since it seems to me the only thing that shook it
> loose was a competing proposal, please save the venom for when you
> actually have some clear moral high-ground to stand on.  I don't see it
> from here.

Using "taking too long" as an argument against an API proposal is really
interesting. What did you expect? - A quick shot which is not well
thought about wouldn't have be a good thing for anyone.
I'm absolutely fine if anyone would came up with real technical
arguments, but reading many postings so far I couldn't find much of such
statements.
> As for the technical superiority of either API proposal; that probably
> just doesn't matter.  I've seen policy/political decisions force
> suboptimal technical solutions at work time and time again.  If you
> really believe you have a superior product technically; then perhaps you
> should work to make it superior politically as well.  Mud-slinging can't
> be a good long term strategy toward that end.

To be political again: Thank you for blaming jusst being not interested
in proper technical solutions. What makes you thinking of this? - Just
the fact that you recognize jusst as a commercial company? Very interesting.

I really have a feeling that many people here are mostly interested in
making politics instead of thinking about technical solutions which
makes all this a horrible topic for all that people who are interested
in a working solution (which Manu has proven to deliver) - mainly the users.

So far this is my statement (in representation for jusst technologies)
for the moment.

Best regards,
Julian