Date:	Tue, 23 Sep 2008 11:26:52 +1000
From:	"Dave Airlie" <airlied@...il.com>
To:	"David Miller" <davem@...emloft.net>
Cc:	jkosina@...e.cz, rjw@...k.pl, linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org,
	kernel-testers@...r.kernel.org, chrisl@...are.com,
	david.vrabel@....com
Subject: Re: [Bug #11382] e1000e: 2.6.27-rc1 corrupts EEPROM/NVM

On Tue, Sep 23, 2008 at 8:28 AM, David Miller <davem@...emloft.net> wrote:
> From: Jiri Kosina <jkosina@...e.cz>
> Date: Tue, 23 Sep 2008 00:15:08 +0200 (CEST)
>
>> On Mon, 22 Sep 2008, Dave Airlie wrote:
>>
>> > Sep 8th I booted my own 2.6.27-rc5 kernel based from
>> > ec0c15afb41fd9ad45b53468b60db50170e22346
>> > This got a corrupted e1000e checksum and every kernel since has.
>>
>> Have you restored the EEPROM contents after it got corrupted for the first
>> time?
>>
>> Once the EEPROM contents get corrupted, the card will then be broken
>> forever even on kernel that gets this fixed one day.
>>
>> This is pretty serious bug in fact, as it renders hardware of poor users
>> unusable, and just patching kernel is then not enough to put things back
>> to shape.
>
> The top priority is to root cause this, so that we can stop the
> problem from happening as fast as possible, and I'm still waiting for
> the SHA1 ID that was used for the last kernel Dave booted before the
> problem occurred which is pretty damn critical for making forward
> progress here.

It was exactly 2.6.27-rc5 + Fedora at the time but we rarely touch
these areas, most of the extra code is in other places, and since
people are seeing it on !Fedora
also I would assume it wasn't these.

I think people have seen it on earlier kernels maybe but not sure.

really Intel needs to get a fix of some sort out so we can repair the
hw so we can root cause the probem.

Dave.