Date:	Mon, 22 Sep 2008 23:06:09 -0400
From:	Masami Hiramatsu <mhiramat@...hat.com>
To:	Linus Torvalds <torvalds@...ux-foundation.org>
CC:	Martin Bligh <mbligh@...gle.com>,
	Thomas Gleixner <tglx@...utronix.de>,
	Mathieu Desnoyers <compudj@...stal.dyndns.org>,
	Steven Rostedt <rostedt@...dmis.org>, darren@...art.com,
	"Frank Ch. Eigler" <fche@...hat.com>,
	systemtap-ml <systemtap@...rces.redhat.com>
Subject: Re: Unified tracing buffer

Hi Linus,

Linus Torvalds wrote:

> On Mon, 22 Sep 2008, Masami Hiramatsu wrote:
>> Sure, atomic counter might be more expensive but accurate for ordering.
>
> Don't be silly.
>
> An atomic counter is no more accurate for ordering than anything else.
>
> Why?
>
> Because all it tells you is the ordering of the atomic increment, not of
> the caller. The atomic increment is not related to all the other ops that
> the code that you trace actually does in any shape or form, and so the
> ordering of the trace doesn't actually imply anything for the ordering of
> the operations you are tracing!
>
> Except for a single CPU, of course, but for that case you don't need a
> sequence number either, since the ordering is entirely determined by the
> ring buffer itself.
>
> So the counter will be more expensive (cross-cpu cache bouncing for EVERY
> SINGLE EVENT), less useful (no real meaning for people who DO want to have
> a timestamp), and it's really no more "ordered" than anything that bases
> itself on a TSC.
>
> The fact is, you cannot order operations based on log messages unless you
> have a lock around the whole caller - absolutely _no_ amount of locking or
> atomic accesses in the log itself will guarantee ordering of the upper
> layers.

Indeed.
If TSC(or similar time counter) can provide synchronized-time, I don't
have any comment on that(AFAIK, latest x86 and ia64 can provide it).
# I might be a bit nervous about Broken TSC...

> And sure, if you have locking at a higher layer, then a sequence number is
> sufficient, but on the other hand, so is a well-synchronized TSC.
>
> So personally, I think that the optimal solution is:
>
>  - let each ring buffer be associated with a "gettimestamp()" function, so
>    that everybody _can_ set it to something of their own. But default to
>    something sane, namely a raw TSC thing.

I agree, default to TSC is enough.

>  - Add synchronization events to the ring buffer often enough that you can
>    make do with a _raw_ (ie unscaled) 32-bit timestamp. Possibly by simply
>    noticing when the upper 32 bits change, although you could possibly do
>    it with a heartbeat too.
>
>  - Similarly, add a synchronization event when the TSC frequency changes.
>
>  - Make the synchronization packet contain the full 64-bit TSC base, in
>    addition to TSC frequency info _and_ the timebase.
>
>  - From those synchronization events, you should be able to get a very
>    accurate timestamp *after* the fact from the raw TSC numbers (ie do all
>    the scaling not when you gather the info, but when you present it),
>    even if you only spent 32 bits of TSC info on 99% of all events (an
>    just had a overflow log occasionally to get the rest of the info)
>
>  - Most people will be _way_ happier with a timestamp that has enough
>    precision to also show ordering (assuming that the caller holds a
>    lock over the operation _including_ the tracing) than they would ever
>    be with a sequence number.
>
>  - people who really want to can consider the incrementing counter a TSC,
>    but it will suck in so many ways that I bet it will not be very popular
>    at all. But having the option to set a special timestamp function will
>    give people the option (on a per-buffer level) to make the "TSC" be a
>    simple incrementing 32-bit counter using xaddl and the upper bits
>    incrementing from a timer, but keep that as a "ok, the TSC is really
>    broken, or this architecture doesn't support any fast cycle counters at
>    all, or I really don't care about time, just sequence, and I guarantee
>    I have a single lock in all callers that makes things unambiguous"

Thank you very much for giving me a good idea!
I agree with you.

--
Masami Hiramatsu

Software Engineer
Hitachi Computer Products (America) Inc.
Software Solutions Division

e-mail: mhiramat@...hat.com