Date:	Wed, 24 Sep 2008 16:25:08 +0300
From:	tike64@...il.com
To:	linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org
Subject: KDGKBENT and unicode

Dear linux-kernel,

I am trying to read keyboard in raw mode (K_MEDIUMRAW, to be exact). I
hope to avoid reading all the keymaps from the kernel to the application
for keycode translation. Therefore I call KDGKBENT ioctl for every
keycode I get from the tty. Basically this works except, when the
translation result is an unicode keysym or should I say the unicode
value happens to be greater than 0xFF, I get K_HOLE.

This observation seems to be in harmony with the drivers/char/vt_ioctl.c
code. There I learned that, if I had the keyboard in the K_UNICODE mode,
I could get directly the 16 bit unicode values.

So I have two options:

1) Read the keymaps in K_UNICODE mode and do the translations myself
while in K_MEDIUMRAW mode

2) For each keycode switch to K_UNICODE mode, ask the translation from
kernel, switch back to K_MEDIUMRAW mode and read the next keycode (the
continuous switching might have severe side effects).

The question is am I correct so far or am I miserably confused? Aren't
there any smarter ways to do the translation?

The next question probably must be how do I handle CAPS with kernel
keymaps? As the CAPS sensitivity is encoded in the type field of keysym
value, it is lost when the value is 16 bit unicode. I am seeing this
phenomenon in ordinary VT when I manage to load some keysyms as 16 bit
unicode.

--

Timo