Date:	Tue, 07 Oct 2008 13:56:46 +0400
From:	Vladislav Bolkhovitin <vst@...b.net>
To:	"Nicholas A. Bellinger" <nab@...ux-iscsi.org>
CC:	linux-iscsi-target-dev@...glegroups.com,
	FUJITA Tomonori <fujita.tomonori@....ntt.co.jp>,
	Mike Christie <michaelc@...wisc.edu>,
	linux-scsi <linux-scsi@...r.kernel.org>,
	iet-dev <iscsitarget-devel@...ts.sourceforge.net>,
	Greg KH <greg@...ah.com>,
	Jerome Martin <tramjoe.merin@...il.com>,
	LKML <linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org>,
	James Bottomley <James.Bottomley@...senPartnership.com>,
	SCST-Devel <scst-devel@...ts.sourceforge.net>,
	Joel Becker <joel.becker@...cle.com>,
	"H. Peter Anvin" <hpa@...or.com>
Subject: Re: [ANNOUNCE]: ConfigFS enabled Generic Target Mode and iSCSI	Target
 Stack on v2.6.27-rc7

Nicholas A. Bellinger wrote:

> [...]
>> of attributes: initiator name, target template name, count of
>> outstanding commands, etc. The logical way for that would be to create a
>> subdirectory for each initiator, like:
>>
>> /sys/kernel/config/
>> `-- target
>>      `-- sessions
>>          `-- session1
>>          |   |-- initiator_name
>>          |   |-- template_name
>>          |   `-- commands
>>          `-- session2
>>              |-- initiator_name
>>              `-- template_name
>>              `-- commands
>>

> The the Initiator Port ACLs need to go
> under /sys/kernel/config/target/$FABRIC because the struct fabric_acl *
> will always contain fabric dependent config items.  For example, Since
> these struct fabric_acl_t do *NOT* symlink directly back to
> target_core_mod under /sys/kernel/config/target/core/$HBA/$DEV, but to
> fabric_lun_t (iscsi_lun_t in my case) to Symlink to
> a /sys/kernel/config/target/core/$HBA/$DEV that has been registered with
> the generic target configfs infrastructure.
>
> Here is what I am thinking wrt /sys/kernel/config/target/iscsi and iSCSI
> Initiator Node ACLs to iSCSI Portal Groups and iSCSI LUNs attached to
> those Portal Groups.  There are two cases:
>
> *) The production case with with user creating those ACLs under $FABRIC
> (which is what I will focus on now).
>
> * And "Demo Mode" case where any Initiator logging into
> $FABRIC/$ENDPOINT/$PORTAL can have access to all
> $FABRIC/$ENDPOINT/lun/lun_*/*my_ports*
>
> The production ACL case would look like:
>
> export CONFIGFS=/sys/kernel/config/
> export TARGET=/sys/kernel/config/target/core/
> export FABRIC=/sys/kernel/config/target/iscsi/
>
> TARGET_IQN=iqn.2003-01.org.linux-iscsi.ps3-cell.ppc64:sn.f8f651bd5fec
> INITIATOR_IQN=iqn.1993-08.org.debian:01.f82074ca555f
>
> <Setup $STORAGE_OBJECTs under $TARGET>
>
> # Create the LIO-target endpoint
> mkdir -p "$FABRIC/$TARGET_IQN/tpgt_1/np/172.16.201.137:3260"
> mkdir -p "$FABRIC/$TARGET_IQN/tpgt_1/lun/lun_0"
>
> <Setup Port Symlinks from $TARGET to $TARGET_IQN/tpgt_1/lun/lun_0>
>
> # Create the Initiator ACL under $TARGET_IQN/tpgt_1
> mkdir -p $"FABRIC/$TARGET_IQN/tpgt_1/initiators/$INITIATOR_IQN"
> # Allow $INITIATOR_IQN access to tpgt_1/lun/lun_0/
> ln -s "$FABRIC/$TARGET_IQN/tpgt_1/lun/lun_0" \
> 	"$FABRIC/$TARGET_IQN/tpgt_1/initiators/$INITIATOR_IQN/lun_0"
>
>>>From there, you don't have to worry about PAGE_SIZE limitiations w/o, I
> can simply use use:
>
> cat $FABRIC/iqn*/tpgt*/initiators/*/session
>
> to see which acl'ed iSCSI Initiators are logged in on all iSCSI Target
> Ports.
>
> Also I should add that I am currently using /proc/scsi_target/mib
> and /proc/iscsi_target_mib for READ-ONLY data with target_core_mod.ko
> and iscsi_target_mod.ko respectively.  For the other "Demo Mode" case
> mentioned above, I am currently using /proc/iscsi_target/mib/sess_attr
> to see the active sessions for LIO-Target.

Sorry for the delay. I didn't have a chance to look at it sufficiently
close.

Basically the idea about how to manage ACLs is good, but I don't like,
that with it *ALL* the target drivers would have to implement the
necessary code. It shouldn't be so, management of all security stuff
should be purely duty of the mid-layer. And this is exactly implemented
in SCST. All what target drivers should do with it is to pass target's
name on its registration in scst_register() and then while registering a
session with remote initiator using scst_register_session() pass to it
the initiator's name. Everything else is done by the SCST core.

Thus, I believe, all the ACL management should be done not in $FABRIC/,
but in $TARGET/. It would remove all the corresponding configfs
headaches from the target drivers writers.

But, in fact, I asked about completely different thing. SCSI target
mid-layer in some cases needs to export in user space amount of data,
which doesn't fit one page. /proc/scsi_tgt/sessions is one example. What
should we do for it?