Date:	Tue, 7 Oct 2008 22:40:11 +0200
From:	Pavel Machek <pavel@...e.cz>
To:	Greg KH <greg@...ah.com>
Cc:	Thomas Renninger <trenn@...e.de>, Tejun Heo <tj@...nel.org>,
	Shem Multinymous <multinymous@...il.com>,
	Elias Oltmanns <eo@...ensachen.de>,
	IDE/ATA development list <linux-ide@...r.kernel.org>
Subject: Re: Laptop shock detection and harddisk protection

> > > That anonymous person may have problems if they signed NDA.
> > >
> > > I don't think they did, they even list the sources:
> > >
> > >  *  The embedded controller on ThinkPad laptops has a non-standard
> > > interface, *  where LPC channel 3 of the H8S EC chip is hooked up to IO
> > > ports *  0x1600-0x161F and implements (a special case of) the H8S LPC
> > > protocol. *  The EC LPC interface provides various system management
> > > services (currently *  known: battery information and accelerometer
> > > readouts). This driver *  provides access and mutual exclusion for the EC
> > > interface.
> > > *
> > >  *  The LPC protocol and terminology is documented here:
> > >  *  "H8S/2104B Group Hardware Manual",
> > >  *
> > > http://documentation.renesas.com/eng/products/mpumcu/rej09b0300_2140bhm.pdf
> > >
> > > H8S chip seems to be documented.
> > Hmm, the EC is not directly used, but ACPI functions of the HP device are
> > used.
> > For the HP ACPI device: the ACPI functions can *very easily* be re-engineered
> > (which is common for all laptop_acpi.ko drivers):
> > ALRD -> is used by the driver to read out registers of the accelerometer
> > ALWR -> is used by the driver to write a registers of the accelerometer
> > BTW: HP likes to have support for their device.
> >
> > The acceleromter chip itself is docuemented in detail here:
> > http://www.st.com/stonline/products/literature/ds/12094/lis3lv02dl.pdf
> >
> > I also do not see any concerns.
> > Greg: Can you please add this one or explain in more detail what else you like
> > to see to get this integerated.
>
> If you, or anyone else, writes a new driver from the published
> documents, that driver can be accepted.  It can not be based on the
> existing code written by Shem in any form.

Can you detail what "published" means?

Either I can take his sources on sourceforge.net (quite well known
place, right) as published information, or I could not use other well
known sources such as wikipedia.

Sources on sourceforge.net seem published-enough to me, and if you
insist they can't be used, you should provide some reasons...

[And no, just calling it "tainted" is not enough.]
									Pavel