Date:	Fri, 17 Oct 2008 15:26:24 +1100
From:	Grant Coady <gcoady.lk@...il.com>
To:	Greg KH <greg@...ah.com>
Cc:	Adrian Bunk <bunk@...nel.org>,
	linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org
Subject: Re: [RFC] Kernel version numbering scheme change

On Thu, 16 Oct 2008 21:02:39 -0700, you wrote:

>On Thu, Oct 16, 2008 at 08:16:26PM +0300, Adrian Bunk wrote:
>> On Thu, Oct 16, 2008 at 08:47:26AM -0700, Greg KH wrote:
>> You miss the best alternative:
>>
>> Simply keep the status quo.
>
>I'd argue that is is a pain.  Linus has expressed frustration with the
>current numbering scheme, and as someone who deals with kernel version
>numbers every single day, I too am mildly frustrated.
>
>I think the main reason why is just that small numbers are easier to
>keep track of in your mind.  As we are ever increasing the version
>number, the release numbers feel like they are getting closer together,
>making them less distinguishable.
>
>For example, think of the following:
>	2.6.5 vs. 2.6.9
>Your mind focuses on the 5 and 9, and in thinking about them, it is much
>easier to keep them apart.
>
>Now, try the same with:
>	2.6.24 vs. 2.6.27
>You are repeating the tens digit, the "two", so it is a bit harder to
>distinguish things.  After a few years of this, it gets more difficult
>
>So I proposed an alternative, YEAR.NUMBER.  The year is easy to keep
>track of, and the release number is a small one, making it too easier to
>track and distinguish from each other:
>	2009.1 vs. 2009.5
>or
>	2010.2 vs. 2011.5

So add a 'RELEASEDATE = 2008-nn-nn' on line five of the top Makefile
just under the 'NAME = Rotary Wombat' variation.

Perhaps lose the leading '2.6.' when 2.6.30 comes around, give some
warning to all that their scripts are gonna break with that release.

Then you could play with low 3.0.0 numbers again :)

Grant.

--
http://bugsplatter.id.au