Date:	Sun, 19 Oct 2008 18:42:44 +0100
From:	David Woodhouse <dwmw2@...radead.org>
To:	Ingo Molnar <mingo@...e.hu>
Cc:	Joerg Roedel <joro@...tes.org>, iommu@...ts.linux-foundation.org,
	linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org, fenghua.yu@...el.com,
	tony.luck@...el.com, suresh.b.siddha@...el.com,
	sfr@...b.auug.org.au, andreas.herrmann3@....com,
	joseph.cihula@...el.com, akpm@...ux-foundation.org,
	jbarnes@...tuousgeek.org, tglx@...utronix.de,
	torvalds@...ux-foundation.org
Subject: Re: [ANNOUNCE] iommu-2.6.git tree

On Sun, 2008-10-19 at 19:26 +0200, Ingo Molnar wrote:
> * David Woodhouse <dwmw2@...radead.org> wrote:

> > > That's weird, where did you get the impression from that i "dropped" the
> > > "old" IOMMU tree? It's alive and kicking, all the new IOMMU code that we
> > > queued up and tested in the last cycle for v2.6.28 have just gone
> > > upstream - about 80 commits.
> >
> > I cannot find the tree which allegedly already exists [...]
>
> it's tip/auto-iommu-next.

I have no idea what that means.

I tried 'locate auto-iommu-next' on master.kernel.org, but that doesn't
seem to find anything -- is it elsewhere?

Can you give a proper URL for a git tree, with a description explaining
its nature, and everything that one would normally expect from a git
tree?

> > [...] -- and unless I'm mistaken, a number of patches seem to have
> > fallen through the cracks in the last few weeks. Since I've been asked
> > to start looking after the Intel IOMMU parts, it seemed sensible to
> > make a git tree and round up those patches.
>
> hm, no patches have been lost that i'm aware of - the last ~10 days of
> inbox is not queued up yet because of the merge window - but those
> (except for urgent fixes) are v2.6.29 items anyway.

There were patches outstanding which depended on both the interrupt
remapping and the KVM work. And which add IA64 support for VT-d.

> > I thought you and Thomas were working together, and I spoke to Thomas
> > about it during the Kernel Summit. Unless I'm very much mistaken, he
> > agreed that it makes sense to have a separate, real, git tree for
> > cross-platform IOMMU-related work.
> >
> > If you want to pull that tree into yours, that's fine by me -- as long
> > as it gets into linux-next.
>
> okay, we can certainly do that. And if/when all future activities center
> around your tree, and there's no interaction with x86 platform bits, it
> will be natural for you to just not go over any middlemen.
>
> But i'd prefer to at least have some transitionary period - IOMMU
> changes are not easy topics and they caused subtle breakages a couple of
> times and it was quite handy that those breakages were generally seen by
> all x86 developers (and immediately fixed afterwards). 99% of the
> current iommu development activities are in the x86 space, so there's
> quite some alignment there.

Again, isn't this what linux-next is for? But if you want to pull it
into your own linux-next-but-only-for-x86 tree, then that's fine too; as
I said.

David.Woodhouse@...el.com                              Intel Corporation