Date:	Sun, 19 Oct 2008 17:19:37 -0700
From:	Keith Packard <keithp@...thp.com>
To:	Andres Freund <andres@...razel.de>
Cc:	keithp@...thp.com, Dave Airlie <airlied@...ux.ie>,
	linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org
Subject: Re: [git pull] agp patches for 2.6.28-rc1.

On Mon, 2008-10-20 at 01:44 +0200, Andres Freund wrote:
> Hi Dave,
>
> On Monday 20 October 2008 01:25:22 Dave Airlie wrote:
> > What type of laptop is it and what GPU has it.
> > if distros are carrying GM45 supporting stuff we might be in trouble..

The GM45/G45 support in both kernel and user space was horribly broken,
causing the kernel to either overwrite stolen entries with freshly
allocated pages, and potentially corrupt the system, or leave some GTT
entries uninitialized and cause the hardware to lock up.

You appear to have a happy situation where this bug isn't obviously
breaking things. We couldn't find any machines where even simple 2D
graphics was stable for very long.

We applied a patch to both kernel and 2D driver (as both end up
computing the size of the GTT stolen area for historical reasons) to fix
this mistake. Updating your 2D driver to 2.4.98 should get you the other
half of the fix.

> Its a Thinkpad T500 with a hybrid ATI/intel card, but the ATI card is disabled
> in bios (Intel card is not recognized properly if its enabled, havent started
> trying to track this down).

Yeah, I'm getting information about how 'hybrid' graphics hardware
works.

--
keith.packard@...el.com

Download attachment "signature.asc" of type "application/pgp-signature" (190 bytes)