Date:	Mon, 20 Oct 2008 09:37:52 -0700 (PDT)
From:	Linus Torvalds <torvalds@...ux-foundation.org>
To:	Ingo Molnar <mingo@...e.hu>
cc:	Roland Dreier <rdreier@...co.com>,
	Alan Cox <alan@...rguk.ukuu.org.uk>,
	linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org,
	Thomas Gleixner <tglx@...utronix.de>,
	"H. Peter Anvin" <hpa@...or.com>,
	David Howells <dhowells@...hat.com>
Subject: Re: [announce] new tree: "fix all build warnings, on all configs"

On Sat, 18 Oct 2008, Ingo Molnar wrote:

> thx, you are right - fixed it via the patch below.

Hell no.

The old code was correct. Your code is shit. And you didn't fix
_anything_.

>  	case 5:
>  		*(int *)to = *(int *)from;
> -		*((short *)to + 3) = *((short *)from + 3);
> +		*((char *)(to + 3)) = *((char *)(from + 3));
>  		return to;

Are you just making changes by randomly inserting and deleting characters
until you don't see warnings? Or what?

That thing is supposed to be a 5-byte memcpy. Not a "take a random byte
from a random location and move it to another random location". That would
be "randcpy()", not "memcpy()".

I don't want to see obvious and shitty crap like this. I don't want to
pull from people who write code with some "random walk" algorithm.

F*ck me, what's wrong with you people? THAT CODE WAS NOT BUGGY. If it
causes a warning, it is because SOME CALLER used a 5-byte memcpy() on
something that gcc thought was just four bytes in size.

Ingo, I'm not going to pull _anything_ from you.

			Linus