Date:	Sun, 26 Oct 2008 11:23:19 +0100
From:	Mike Galbraith <efault@....de>
To:	Andrew Morton <akpm@...ux-foundation.org>
Cc:	Peter Zijlstra <a.p.zijlstra@...llo.nl>,
	Jiri Kosina <jkosina@...e.cz>,
	David Miller <davem@...emloft.net>, rjw@...k.pl,
	Ingo Molnar <mingo@...e.hu>, s0mbre@...rvice.net.ru,
	linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org, netdev@...r.kernel.org
Subject: Re: [tbench regression fixes]: digging out smelly deadmen.

On Sun, 2008-10-26 at 02:11 -0700, Andrew Morton wrote:

> Was this when we decreased the default value of
> /proc/sys/vm/dirty_ratio, perhaps?  dbench is sensitive to that.

Wow, indeed.  I fired up an ext2 disk to take kjournald out of the
picture (dunno, just a transient thought).  Stock settings produced
three perma-wrecks in a row.  With it bumped to 50, three very
considerably nicer results in a row appeared.

2.6.26.7-smp dirty_ratio = 10 (stock)
Throughput 36.3649 MB/sec 160 procs
Throughput 47.0787 MB/sec 160 procs
Throughput 88.2055 MB/sec 160 procs