Date:	Fri, 31 Oct 2008 08:00:38 -0700
From:	Greg KH <greg@...ah.com>
To:	"J.R. Mauro" <jrm8005@...il.com>
Cc:	Greg KH <gregkh@...e.de>, Moritz Muehlenhoff <jmm@...ian.org>,
	linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org
Subject: Re: staging: me4000 and relation to other data acquisition devices

On Thu, Oct 30, 2008 at 11:42:36AM -0400, J.R. Mauro wrote:
> On Thu, Oct 30, 2008 at 11:23 AM, Greg KH <gregkh@...e.de> wrote:
> > On Thu, Oct 30, 2008 at 10:25:30AM -0400, J.R. Mauro wrote:
> >> Ok. I emailed a few of them. The ones I omitted either didn't have a
> >> clear homepage/maintainer, had already sent a patch to the kernel, or
> >> explicitly stated no intentions of going into mainline.
> >
> > Which ones were in the last 2 categories?
>
> The Alix driver seemed to be sent in already: http://lkml.org/lkml/2008/8/19/279
>
> The ov51x-jpeg driver's homepage mentions that there is a driver
> already, but it doesn't do jpeg compression, since that kind of
> shouldn't be done in the kernel. The out-of-tree driver does do the
> compression in the kernel, but the author doesn't think it should go
> into mainline. Or something like that.
>

> >> Maybe you could send me the Spreadsheet O' Drivers if you need more help?
> >
> > Yeah, I think I'll move this to a google docs file or somehow merge it
> > with the information on the linuxdriverproject.org wiki.  Give me a few
> > days.
>
> A google spreadsheet would be great for me. Maybe you could do both?
>

> >> I've also been wondering: should we contact the maintainers of the big
> >> distros and make them aware of staging and have them work with us to
> >> get whatever out-of-tree stuff they have more centralized? I don't
> >> know if it's a good idea, but it could be. And if it is, I have no
> >> idea where to start.
> >
> > I've already looked at what the following distros include in their
> > kernel package:
> >        - Fedora
> >        - openSUSE
> >        - Ubuntu
> > so I have them on my list, and is where I took a number of the existing
> > staging drivers from.
> >
> > If you could poke around other distro's kernels (like Mandrake and any
> > other you can think of) and find out what they include, that would e
> > great.
>
> Ok. I'll talk to distros not mentioned above and hopefully add
> anything I find to the forthcoming spreadsheet.

I've gone through the suse, fedora, ubuntu, and gentoo kernels and added
everything that I have found (gentoo had a _lot_ of external kernel
modules in their packaging system) to the wiki at:
	http://www.linuxdriverproject.org/twiki/bin/view/Main/OutOfTreeDrivers

I also dumped all of my spreadsheet information into here as well, as it
didn't make sense to try to categorize it that way.

So, feel free to clean up, and organize that wiki page with whatever
else you have found.  Some of it still is not organized (like the huge
list at the end of the page) and there might be duplicates as well.

Thanks a lot for helping out.

greg k-h