Date:	Sat, 15 Nov 2008 17:00:32 -0500 (EST)
From:	Justin Piszcz <jpiszcz@...idpixels.com>
To:	Mario 'BitKoenig' Holbe <Mario.Holbe@...Ilmenau.DE>
cc:	linux-raid@...r.kernel.org, linux-ide@...r.kernel.org,
	linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org, linux-ide@...r.kernel.org
Subject: Re: 2.6.27.6 question: ata_sff_hsm_move: ata15 (why always ata15)?

On Sat, 15 Nov 2008, Mario 'BitKoenig' Holbe wrote:

> Justin Piszcz <jpiszcz@...idpixels.com> wrote:
>> I have enabled debugging in the libata.h file and I find that ata15 is
>> constantly being accessed for some reason, why is this?
>> Host: scsi14 Channel: 00 Id: 00 Lun: 00
>>    Vendor: _NEC     Model: DVD_RW ND-3520A  Rev: 1.04
>>    Type:   CD-ROM                           ANSI  SCSI revision: 05
>
> Well, if ata15 really is the CD-ROM, hal is likely to poll it :/
>

> regards
>   Mario
> --
> Evidently men are more intelligent than women. Every woman on earth
> believes that men should be able to read minds. Every man knows this
> is impossible. Ergo, we are more intelligent.

Yes, for this -specific- issue, it was HAL polling the DVD drive multiple
times a second, this fixed that:

# hal-disable-polling --device /dev/sr0
Following symlink from /dev/sr0 to /dev/scd0.
Polling for drive /dev/sr0 have been disabled. The fdi file written was
   /etc/hal/fdi/information/media-check-disable-storage_model_DVD_RW_ND_3520A.fdi

#

Justin.