Date:	Fri, 21 Nov 2008 23:56:38 +0200 (EET)
From:	Meelis Roos <mroos@...ux.ee>
To:	Patrick McHardy <kaber@...sh.net>
cc:	Linux Kernel list <linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org>
Subject: Regression - Re: 2.6.28-rc2: runaway loop modprobe char-major-5-1

> > request_module: runaway loop modprobe char-major-5-1
> >
> > and then hangs.
> >
> > char-major-5-1 seems to mean ttyS0.
>
> I'm seeing the same problem on a Debian unstable system using
> initramfs and dm-crypt, but it seems to be caused by userspace
> changes, using an old initramfs image with just the new modules
> added manually works fine (well, breaks elsewhere).

I have done some eveninfs testing, taking apart and putting together my
own initramfs. It looks like this is a kernel bug, not userspace - the
hang happens after initramfs is unpacked and after VFS and quotas are
installed, and after "msgmni has been set to 627" message but before BSG
init is executed from initramfs (and no modprobe is executed either, as
my wrapper does not run).

Rerepeating, same userspace generats fine initramfs for 2.6.27 and the
initramfs contents are the same except modules tree that is for
different version.

It happens on 2 of my computers, both have custom config (serial
compiled in, not modular). The hang happens before ttyS driver
initialization.

Seems like a kernel regression to me.

--
Meelis Roos (mroos@...ux.ee)