Date:	Sat, 29 Nov 2008 08:24:37 +0100
From:	Martin Steigerwald <Martin@...htvoll.de>
To:	xfs@....sgi.com
Cc:	tuxonice-devel@...ts.tuxonice.net, linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org
Subject: hangs with MTRR_SANITIZER? (was: Re: truncated files)

Hi!

CC'd to linux-kernel mailinglist, as that might be something that goes
beyond any possible TuxOnIce or XFS issues. I know I am using TuxOnIce
which is not part of the mainline kernel. And I am even using an
inofficial patch - which I will use again unchanged for the non
MTRR_SANITIZER kernel, in order to know whether its the MTRR_SANITIZER
thing. And anyway before knowing whether it might be MTRR_SANITIZER
related I need to run the non MTRR_SANITIZER kernel for at least a week
and have quite some hibernate cycles. If someone else had issues with
MTRR_SANITIZER I would like to hear about it. Also if someone thinks I am
completely off track on trying to track this down I appreciate a hint.

Links to my posts on xfs and tuxonice-devel mailing lists:

http://oss.sgi.com/pipermail/xfs/2008-November/037399.html

http://lists.tuxonice.net/pipermail/tuxonice-devel/2008-November/000421.html

Am Freitag 28 November 2008 schrieb Martin Steigerwald:
> Am Freitag 28 November 2008 schrieb Martin Steigerwald:

> > > Sure, though I'm not convinced that TuxOnIce is any better because
> > > it still uses the same fundamental design as the in-kernel ones.
> >
> > Might be.
> >
> > But something is fishy here. I had it a second time today. This time
> > I know for sure that the machine freezed hard. Mouse pointer froze
> > and the machine didn't even respond to a ping anymore. Nothing in
> > logs - doesn't surprise me.
> >
> > I didn't have this issue with 2.6.26, and I also don't think I had it
> > with 2.6.27.5. I will downgrade to 2.6.27.5 now.
>
> I wonder about those truncated files nonetheless. As I don't think that
> KDE is writing config files all the time. Well I might be wrong, but I
> didn't even change KDE configuration during time of the crash... OTOH
> XFS uses a in memory inode size and should be safe with the point in
> time when it writes the size to disk as far as I read here. Well this
> time at least again the file "kdeglobals" was affected and this file
> might be written rather often.

Okay, I thought about this a bit more in my dreams this night it seems. I
think it even hangs before starting much of hibernate.

I had this pre-hibernate script:

shambhala:/etc/acpi> bzr cat -r304 hibernate-tuxonice.sh
#!/bin/sh

# Änderung der Netzwerkumgebung erkennen und Zeitserver handeln
/etc/init.d/ifplugd stop
ifdown eth0
/etc/init.d/chrony stop

# Gutnacht
hibernate

# Änderung der Netzwerkumgebung erkennen und Zeitserver handeln
/etc/init.d/chrony start
/etc/init.d/ifplugd start

Thus its logical that pinging the machine did not work anymore, since its
first thing it does is to disable the network in order to detect changes
in network environment between snapshot cycles reliably.

Then it froze hard even before the desktop was locked. AFAIR not even the
hibernater / suspend LED of my ThinkPad T42 started to blink. Thus I
guess it froze way before any serious hibernation work started. It also
didn't yet switch to console. And actually somewhere along the line of
this it might fail.

I at least have the idea that it could have to do with:

  │ CONFIG_MTRR_SANITIZER:
  │
  │ Convert MTRR layout from continuous to discrete, so X drivers can
  │ add writeback entries.
  │
  │ Can be disabled with disable_mtrr_cleanup on the kernel command line.
  │ The largest mtrr entry size for a continous block can be set with
  │ mtrr_chunk_size.
  │
  │ If unsure, say N.

Especially as some earlier description of this config option adds an
important detail:

>  > +config MTRR_SANITIZER
>  > +     def_bool y
>  > +     prompt "MTRR cleanup support"
>  > +     depends on MTRR
>  > +     help
>  > +       Convert MTRR layout from continuous to discrete, so some X
driver
>  > +       could add WB entries.
>  > +
>  > +       Say N here if you see bootup problems (boot crash, boot hang,
>  > +       spontaneous reboots).

This one at least sounds interesting. Especially in combintion with the
sentence about X drivers. But then it only speaks about boot related
issues. And here it hanged shortly after I pressed Fn-F12 to start a
snapshot cycle.

shambhala:/etc/acpi> lspci -nn | grep -i vga
01:00.0 VGA compatible controller [0300]: ATI Technologies Inc RV350
[Mobility Radeon 9600 M10] [1002:4e50]

It didn't yet hang with my IBM ThinkPad T23 (SuperSavage) and my
workstation at work (newer ATI Radeon). So that might be another hint.

On the first occurence the machine did not respond to user input very
early, even before serious hibernating work started, too.

>  > +
>  > +       could be disabled with disable_mtrr_cleanup. also
mtrr_chunk_size

http://lkml.org/lkml/2008/4/28/685

Thus I am compiling 2.6.27.7 without MTRR_SANITIZER support, but elsewise
unchanged. And will test whether those hangs will be gone. It didn't
happen with 2.6.27.5 tough. That might just be concurrence or it might
hint at those BIOS corruption prevention patch that came in between
2.6.27.5 and 2.6.27.7. But actually I doubt that the BIOS corruption
prevention patch is at play here.

To avoid the truncated files problems, I will try this:

shambhala:/etc/acpi> cat hibernate-tuxonice.sh
#!/bin/sh

# Zur Sicherheit gleich am Anfang alle ausstehenden Änderungen schreiben
sync

# Änderung der Netzwerkumgebung erkennen und Zeitserver handeln
/etc/init.d/ifplugd stop
ifdown eth0
/etc/init.d/chrony stop

# Zur Sicherheit hier nochmal alle ausstehenden Änderungen schreiben
sync

# Gutnacht
hibernate

# Änderung der Netzwerkumgebung erkennen und Zeitserver handeln
/etc/init.d/chrony start
/etc/init.d/ifplugd start

Ciao,