Date:	Tue, 02 Dec 2008 12:43:03 -0700
From:	"Nathanael D. Noblet" <nathanael@...t.ca>
To:	linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org
Subject: PS/2 Issues

Hello,
    Total noob here, but I'm having issues with ps2 keyboard/mouse
suddenly no longer responding. I use fedora and this has happened for
the last three versions however f10 seems to be even more often. Let me
describe the situation and what I've done to try to find the cause.

    Periodically my system 'hangs' in that it no longer accepts input
from either mouse or keyboard plugged into the PS2 ports. Any music /
video playing continues. All apps continue. I can ssh into the box and
top reveals no huge spike in load or anything out of the ordinary. I am
using an ATI card with the OSS video drivers, but even if I go to init 3
I don't regain input response. I was told to see if perhaps any of the
events threads were blocked or otherwise not running. So via ssh I
prompted a sysrq-t to the logs. This produced this output
http://hashbin.com/vPF . As you can see the output is garbled. I've done
it a few times and the location of the garbled output is different each
time. I've run this system under memtest for hours and hours without any
issue.

   Additional information. If I plug in a usb mouse, it works fine and I
can reboot the machine cleanly. The problem is easily triggered by
running a bittorrent client with many torrents. At least it tends to
lock up soon after that. I've also had lockups sooner when sharing via
nfs. Even without those programs running I still have lockups
periodically, however those programs being active shorten the time
between lockups. If I don't run them sometimes I can last a week,
sometimes an hour before needing to reboot. I've talked to people on the
#fedora-kernel room, but no-one there either had ideas or responded.

   I'm willing to do the work to figure this out, but I have yet to
really debug a kernel issue. there is no kernel oops being logged, no
errors nothing out of the ordinary, but all of a sudden ps2 input is
gone. I'm about to purchase a PS2->usb adapter to run my keyboard and
mouse through that to see if they are affected by the issue.

   Ideas pointers or methods to provide more information would be
appreciated.

--
Nathanael d. Noblet