Date:	Sun, 7 Dec 2008 21:12:25 -0500
From:	"Dan Terpstra" <terpstra@...s.utk.edu>
To:	<eranian@...il.com>, "'Thomas Gleixner'" <tglx@...utronix.de>
Cc:	<linux-arch@...r.kernel.org>,
	"'Peter Zijlstra'" <a.p.zijlstra@...llo.nl>,
	"'David Miller'" <davem@...emloft.net>,
	"'LKML'" <linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org>,
	"'Steven Rostedt'" <rostedt@...dmis.org>,
	"'Eric Dumazet'" <dada1@...mosbay.com>,
	"'Paul Mackerras'" <paulus@...ba.org>,
	"'Peter Anvin'" <hpa@...or.com>,
	"'Andrew Morton'" <akpm@...ux-foundation.org>,
	"'Ingo Molnar'" <mingo@...e.hu>,
	"'perfmon2-devel'" <perfmon2-devel@...ts.sourceforge.net>,
	"'Arjan van de Veen'" <arjan@...radead.org>
Subject: RE: [perfmon2] [patch 0/3] [Announcement] Performance Counters forLinux

I'm reminded of the quote attributed to Einstein: "Make things as simple as
possible, but no simpler".
In that regard, it appears that Stephane's perfmon is closer to the mark
than this proposal.
If Stephane's observations below are even close to correct, it would make
PAPI's first-person event-set caliper model essentially useless. We must be
able to start and stop multiple counter values simultaneously and quickly to
infer any validity even for derived measurements as simple as
instructions-per-cycle.
dan terpstra
for the PAPI team