Date:	Thu, 18 Dec 2008 18:44:43 -0800
From:	Andrew Morton <akpm@...ux-foundation.org>
To:	David Howells <dhowells@...hat.com>
Cc:	Christoph Hellwig <hch@...radead.org>, sfr@...b.auug.org.au,
	trond.myklebust@....uio.no, steved@...hat.com, rwheeler@...hat.com,
	bfields@...ldses.org, nfsv4@...ux-nfs.org,
	linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org, linux-fsdevel@...r.kernel.org
Subject: Re: Pull request for FS-Cache, including NFS patches

On Fri, 19 Dec 2008 02:27:24 +0000 David Howells <dhowells@...hat.com> wrote:

> > Are any distros pushing for this?  Or shipping it?  If so, are they
> > able to weigh in and help us with this quite difficult decision?
>
> We (Red Hat) have shipped it in RHEL-5 and some Fedora releases.  Doing so is
> quite an effort, though, precisely because the code is not yet upstream.  We
> have customers using it and are gaining more customers who want it.  There
> even appear to be CentOS users using it (or at least complaining when it
> breaks).

That's useful news.

> I don't know what will convince you.  I've given you theoretical reasons why
> caching ought to be useful; I've backed up the ones I've implemented with
> benchmarks; I've given you examples of what our customers are doing with it or
> want to do with it.

Was that information captured/maintained somewhere?  It really is important (I
think) for something of this magnitude.

> Please help me understand what else you want.

I want to be able to have an answer when someone asks me "why was all that
stuff merged".  One which I can believe.

> Do you perhaps want the netfs maintainers (such as Trond) to say that it's
> necessary?

Of course, their opinions (and supporting explanations) would be valuable.