Date:	Thu, 01 Jan 2009 16:15:17 +0200
From:	Maxim Levitsky <maximlevitsky@...il.com>
To:	Andreas Mohr <andi@...as.de>
Cc:	Bob Copeland <me@...copeland.com>, ath5k-devel@...ts.ath5k.org,
	linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org
Subject: Re: [ath5k-devel] Bugs on aspire one A150

On Thu, 2009-01-01 at 14:41 +0100, Andreas Mohr wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Wed, Dec 31, 2008 at 06:51:31PM +0200, Maxim Levitsky wrote:

> > > Thanks for testing.
> > >
> > > By inverted, do you mean that it is off when it should be on and
> > > vice-versa?  If so, you can change it to 'sc->led_on = 0' instead
> > > of 1.  Let me know if I should make that change in the patch.
> > >

> > Actually, I even thought that this is right behavior, here on iwl3945
> > led is always on, and blinks while traffic is send, also same on
> > windows, but feel free to invert the polarity.
>
> It's not:
> Inversion of the led_on flag does make LED state work properly
> and is the right thing to do since an LED
> _as seen by the authoritative LED layer_
> __has__ to have proper on/off configuration,
> regardless of whether having a WLAN LED on-by-default and
> off-on-traffic _in the WLAN layer_ is desireable.
> (witness wrong state of default-on and heartbeat triggers)
>
> Or, IOW: logical state has to be maintained properly,
> at _each layer_ that is involved.
>
> > What does bother me is, that led state gets inverted dynamically, that
> > is system starts with default 'led always on', but after some time
> > switches to 'always led off' and after sometime again switches back.
> > This does seem to be software problem, at least according to sysfs
> > interace.
>
> linux/net/mac80211/led.c/ieee80211_led_rx() does simple on/off alternation
> via a counter increment modulo, thus somewhat weird LED state toggling
> does seem a natural outcome given the current implementation.
>
> I believe the 80211 layer itself should provide some generic LED
> handling which then provide for reliable and _identical_ displaying of
> WLAN LEDs. It's not a good idea to have individual drivers
> mess with custom rssi-indicating LED type implementations,
> this should be centralized to have one template for an RSSI LED.
>
> More notes:
> . checks of AR5K_NUM_GPIO most certainly are buggy: off-by-1
>   (range sems to be 0-5, _not_ 1-6)
> . prepend "Acer" to "Aspire One" in this patch
>   since Acer is major AR5007EG customer
> . testing GPIOs other than 3 (0-6) didn't succeed in making the other
>   LED work - what is the behaviour with Linpus, is there an rfkill LED
>   there?
>
> Andreas Mohr

Completely agree with you.

Nether does second led works here, even with Win XP that this netbook
came with.

I suspect, that this is usual outcome of an acer tradition, I mean
shipping notebooks with all bluetooch equipment except the actual device
(I mean my notebook has a BT led, BT button, but not a BT device)

I suspect that this led is intended for BT.

Also there is a wireless sign near wireless led, and none near the other
led, and I guess there should have been a BT sign.

Best regards,
	Maxim Levitsky