Date:	Fri, 16 Jan 2009 14:20:42 +0100 (CET)
From:	Jiri Kosina <jkosina@...e.cz>
To:	Javantea <javantea@...il.com>
cc:	linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org
Subject: Re: HID merge plans for 2.6.28

On Thu, 15 Jan 2009, Javantea wrote:

> Users were using HID_QUIRK_IGNORE in modprobe.conf to turn off usbhid
> for a specific device. Is there a better way to do this now in 2.6.28?
> It seems like there are more modules that a person would like to turn
> off for one device and on for another device. For me, the device is the
> RockBand 2 drumset which identifies as a USB HID, but the velocity is
> ignored by usbhid, so I wrote a userland "driver" for it with libusb
> that takes velocity into account. libusb is unable to claim the device
> so long as usbhid has claimed it.

There are several options:

1) write a kernel-level driver for this device; with the new hid bus
   inftrastructure in place, this is quite easy. This has the advantage
   that once the driver gets merged, all the users with new kernel will
   have the driver automatically available

2) unbind the driver from the device via sysfs. libusb should have API for
   this as well, usb_detach_kernel_driver_np() if I remember correctly

--
Jiri Kosina
SUSE Labs