Date:	Fri, 16 Jan 2009 12:58:55 -0800 (PST)
From:	Linus Torvalds <torvalds@...ux-foundation.org>
Subject: Linux 2.6.29-rc2

It's out there now, or at least in the process of mirroring out.

About half of the bulk is a late MIPS merge (tssk, tssk, but I really
couldn't make myself care too much), and there are a few odd new drivers
there too. In fact, of the non-MIPS code, drivers is about half of the
remaining one, and then firmware (which is really drivers too but shows up
separately) is half of _that_ remaining half.

And there's the system call sign-extension for for the architectures that
need it (ppc/64 and s390/64). The rest is really pretty small.

But despite being small, that's probably more important and noticeable to
most people: the first slew of regression fixes. We had non-working 3D
acceleration on many machines (no compiz! What shall we do without those
wobbly windows!) that should be fixed, and a ton of other irritating
issues like that.

The fixes are usually not all that big, but -rc1 really wasn't very good.
Admittedly it wasn't really expected to, with the whole holidays thing.

So hopefully -rc2 is back to "normal -rc1 quality", and perhaps better.
And since I'm leaving for LCA, it had better be better - I've done this
release with the laptop I'm taking with me, just to check that I have all
the pieces ready to fix up anything while at LCA, but I am not planning on
being very active. And I know I'm not the only one there.

I'm not sure exactly what the limit for the kernel mailing list email size
is, but I _think_ the shortlog should fit, at just over 32kB. It's short
enough that people can read it an see what kind of silly small buglets got
fixed, but I'll send it as a follow-up to this email in case it's big
enough to trigger list limits for people.

			Linus