Date:	Mon, 26 Jan 2009 11:00:22 +0530
From:	Jaswinder Singh <jaswindercluster@...il.com>
To:	Discussion of Rocks Clusters <npaci-rocks-discussion@...c.edu>,
	Bill Davidsen <davidsen@....com>,
	Kernel Testers List <kernel-testers@...r.kernel.org>,
	"Rafael J. Wysocki" <rjw@...k.pl>,
	James Bottomley <James.Bottomley@...senpartnership.com>,
	Alan Cox <alan@...rguk.ukuu.org.uk>, greg.bruno@...il.com,
	mason.katz@...il.com
Subject: Re: hdb: status error: error=0x40 <3>{ UncorrectableError }

> From: Bartlomiej Zolnierkiewicz <bzolnier@...il.com>
>
> On Sunday 25 January 2009, Jaswinder Singh Rajput wrote:

>> > He noted that he tried another drive, so unless he has a pile of bad drives
>> > it's probably something else. Being "hdb" may indicate that it's connected
>> > to the same controller as "hda" and might not be jumpered for slave. Or it
>> > might be a bad cable, a controller which doesn't like two drives, a dubious
>> > power connector, etc. Or if he doesn't have an hda, perhaps the kernel
>> > doesn't like a secondary drive without a primary.
>> >
>> > Being hdb instead of sdb with a new kernel indicates he is using a config
>> > which may get a lot less testing these days, perhaps?
>> >
>> > In any case, I doubt he had two bad drives, so something else is more
>> > likely.
>> >

>> But earlier both was working fine on some another machines.
>
> Did you try them before on this machine?

Yes.

Story is like this:

I was using Fedora 8 on my machine with one hard disk, So I was
planning to add another OS 'Rock Cluster 5.1', so I added another
working drive as primary slave and start loading Rock cluster 5.1
during installation machine reboots so when I log on to Fedora 8
machine I get uncorrectable error, I thought may be somehow this drive
is broken so I connected another drive as primary slave and I also
verified that it is mounting on Fedora 8 and also showing correct
data.

So I again started Rock Cluster frontend installation , I did manual
partition on hdb and during format it shows me unrecoverable error. So
when I started Fedora 8 it also show uncorrectable error on another
drive also.

So I am still trying what goes wrong.

> Another machine may mean another controller and entirely different
> IDE host driver.
>
> Your bugreport is too sparse in information to say more
> (please at least post IDE related kernel config part).

I am attaching dmesg because from /var/log/messages because dmesg is
clipping data and also attaching config file.

Thanks,

--
JSR

Download attachment "messages" of type "application/octet-stream" (285958 bytes)

Download attachment "config" of type "application/octet-stream" (49834 bytes)

Download attachment "diskstats" of type "application/octet-stream" (1495 bytes)