Date:	Fri, 30 Jan 2009 11:47:59 +0530
From:	"V.Radhakrishnan" <rk@...-labs.com>
To:	Nathanael Hoyle <nhoyle@...letech.com>
Cc:	linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org
Subject: Re: scheduler nice 19 versus 'idle' behavior / static low-priority
	scheduling

Clear description of a "problem" which may not be directly "solvable"
unless one becomes philosophical.

The linux scheduler by default is a "FAIR" scheduler which means that
every runnable process ready to occupy CPU time will at some point RUN
and never be denied cpu time. This is possible by boosting the dynamic
priority of runnable processes so that one day they rule the roost.

However, the kernel also supports SCHED_FIFO and SCHED_RR which supports
Real Time capabilities, albeit as root.

The DVD player is a soft real time application where the display gets
jittery whenever the frame display rate is not achievable.

If you wish 100% smooth display, you could make it run as SCHED_FIFO
which means that your foldingathome would wait quietly for the movie to
get completed fully. What's "wrong" with that aproach, which is
essentially what you want ?

The key question is whether YOU want the foldingathome application to
run in parallel with the dvd player or not.

Lets wait for more light from the gurus...!!

V. Radhakrishnan