Date:	Mon, 2 Feb 2009 17:32:25 -0800 (PST)
From:	Linus Torvalds <torvalds@...ux-foundation.org>
To:	Benjamin Herrenschmidt <benh@...nel.crashing.org>
cc:	"Rafael J. Wysocki" <rjw@...k.pl>,
	Jesse Barnes <jesse.barnes@...el.com>,
	Andreas Schwab <schwab@...e.de>, Len Brown <lenb@...nel.org>,
	Ingo Molnar <mingo@...e.hu>
Subject: Re: PCI PM: Restore standard config registers of all devices early

On Tue, 3 Feb 2009, Benjamin Herrenschmidt wrote:

> Anyway, my proposed radeonfb patch is at:
>
>  http://bugzilla.kernel.org/attachment.cgi?id=20085
>
> I'll look at cleaning up atyfb and aty128fb later today if needed.

Ok.

Note how the PCI layer (currently) only saves the low _16_ dwords of
config space (64 bytes). The radeonfb code that did it by hand saved the
whole 64 dwords (256 bytes). It _probably_ doesn't matter, but..

The reason the PCI layer only does 64 bytes is that that was the really
old PCI config space model - the rest was undefined and apparently a few
cards reportedly even crashed when accessing it (but who knows, that may
be urban folklore).

But if that patch works for you, it's clearly already better than _not_
applying the patch, so..

			Linus