Date:	Tue, 10 Mar 2009 22:39:06 -0300
From:	Henrique de Moraes Holschuh <hmh@....eng.br>
To:	Pavel Machek <pavel@....cz>
Cc:	kernel list <linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org>, rpurdie@...ys.net
Subject: Re: introduce delayed-leds.h to reduce code duplication

On Sun, 08 Mar 2009, Pavel Machek wrote:
> On Tue 2009-01-20 10:04:00, Henrique de Moraes Holschuh wrote:

> > > Any news?
> >
> > Sure.  Sorry for not replying earlier.
> >
> > I don't like the loss of functionality of the private workqueue.  I kicked
> > the thinkpad led handling to a private workqueue in order to never tie up
> > the system-wide one with crap spinning around in the ACPI layer, etc.  In
> > fact, all thinkpad-acpi deferred work is in the private workqueue for this
> > reason.
>
> Is the private workqueue really required? AFAICT workqueues are not
> exactly cheap, and leds are not toggled that often. Was it problem in
> practice?

Well, the day we can trust the main workqueue not to block or delay
important stuff, I will use it.  Until then, I feel it is best to have
thinkpad-acpi work scheduled independently from the important stuff.

The private workqueue is NOT used just for the LEDs, it is used for
every thinkpad-acpi deferred-work needs.  And I'd rather the thinkpad-acpi
LED work didn't move to the main workqueue.

  Henrique Holschuh