Date:	Sun, 15 Mar 2009 13:26:53 +0900
From:	OGAWA Hirofumi <hirofumi@...l.parknet.co.jp>
To:	Daniel Phillips <phillips@...nq.net>
Cc:	tux3@...3.org, Andrew Morton <akpm@...ux-foundation.org>,
	linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org
Subject: Re: [Tux3] Tux3 report: Tux3 Git tree available

Daniel Phillips <phillips@...nq.net> writes:

>> BTW, those are almost because of userland issue. Kernel are more and
>> more using same type. But, glibc is not. And we (tux3) are sharing the
>> same code with kernel and userland. Some types are depending to
>> CONFIG_*, so if we have generic cast type like (L).
>>
>> [The fatfs also has own type (llu), if it become generic, fatfs will
>> also be happy.]
>>
>> Thanks.
>
> Maybe we should argue for some generic flavor of the (L)/(llu) idea
> then.  I suppose we should figure out exactly how much of our usage
> will remain after the kernel issue is resolved.  One small thing we
> could do is make it a typedef instead of a macro.

It is already typedef?

typedef long long L; // widen for printf on 64 bit systems

> And spelling it out completely as (long long) is not so bad, except it
> loses the desirable property of being able to grep for the messy
> thing, and adds a painful amount of useless line length, given how
> frequently the issue shows up.

Yes. Well, it is depending on the warn/info/trace strategy of the
modules. I guess so many modules are not requiring it, because there is
no trace. But, if those are implementing the trace code or something
like it, I guess (long long) will bother devlopers.
--
OGAWA Hirofumi <hirofumi@...l.parknet.co.jp>