Date:	Sat, 21 Mar 2009 20:40:45 -0700
From:	Arjan van de Ven <arjan@...radead.org>
To:	paulmck@...ux.vnet.ibm.com
Cc:	Eric Dumazet <dada1@...mosbay.com>, dipankar@...ibm.com,
	linux-input@...r.kernel.org, dmitry.torokhov@...il.com,
	linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org
Subject: Re: Question about usage of RCU in the input layer

On Sat, 21 Mar 2009 14:07:45 -0700
"Paul E. McKenney" <paulmck@...ux.vnet.ibm.com> wrote:

> On Sat, Mar 21, 2009 at 09:26:08PM +0100, Eric Dumazet wrote:
> > Arjan van de Ven a écrit :

> > > I've attached an instrumented bootgraph of what is going on;
> > > the rcu delays are shown as red blocks inside the regular
> > > functions as they initialize......
> > >
> > > (svg can be viewed with inkscape, gimp, firefox and various other
> > > tools)
> >
> > Interesting stuff...
> >
> > I thought you mentioned i2c drivers being source of the udelays(),
> >  but I cant see them in this svg, unless its async_probe_hard ?
>
> Arjan, another thought -- if the udelays() are not under
> rcu_read_lock(), you should be able to finesse this by using
> CONFIG_PREEMPT_RCU, which will happily ignore spinning CPUs as long
> as they are not in an RCU read-side critical section.

I'll play with that
In the mean time I've reduced the "other" function's time significantly;
so the urgency has gone away some.

It's still "interesting" that even in the "there is only really one
thread running" case the minimum delay seems to be 2700 microseconds
for classic RCU. Especially during bootup that sounds a bit harsh....
(since that is where many "read mostly" cases actually get their
modifications)

--
Arjan van de Ven 	Intel Open Source Technology Centre
visit http://www.lesswatts.org