Date:	Wed, 22 Apr 2009 16:32:22 -0400
From:	Rafael Lotufo <rlotufo@...n.uwaterloo.ca>
To:	linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org
Subject: Tool support for Kconfig

Hello,

My name is Rafael Lotufo, I'm a MASc student at University of Waterloo
in the Generative Software Lab (http://gsd.uwaterloo.ca).
Our research group is currently working on tool-supported ways of
creating feature configurations and evolving large models
of such configurations, which we refer to as feature models.

We currently see the Linux kernel configuration options as a very rich
real-world feature model, and it has been our subject
of investigation since last January. Our current efforts have been to
create a reasoning tool for the Kconfig options, something that
could help in finding recursive dependencies, configuration options
that cannot be selected, and even tools that would facilitate
configuring the Linux kernel, like resolving dependencies for a wanted
configuration option that cannot be currently selected
due to its dependencies. Furthermore, the reasoning tool can compute
semantic diffs, intersections, unions, and slices of Kconfig
specifications.

We would be interested to receive input from interested Linux kernel
developers regarding their experience
with modifying Kconfig files. Would a tool for analyzing and comparing
Kconfig files be useful?
What questions one typically has to answer when evolving Kconfig
files? Are there any frequent problems
or mistakes?

We would very much appreciate any input on this subject.

Thank you very much for you attention,

--
Rafael Lotufo
MASc Candidate