Date:	Sun, 26 Apr 2009 11:21:03 +0200
From:	Christoph Hellwig <hch@....de>
To:	Michal Simek <michal.simek@...alogix.com>
Cc:	Christoph Hellwig <hch@....de>, linux-arch@...r.kernel.org,
	microblaze-uclinux@...e.uq.edu.au, linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org,
	Matthew Wilcox <matthew@....cx>
Subject: Re: USE_ELF_CORE_DUMP?

On Fri, Apr 24, 2009 at 09:17:26AM +0200, Michal Simek wrote:
> Christoph Hellwig wrote:
> > Currently all architectures but microblaze unconditionally define
> > USE_ELF_CORE_DUMP.  The microblaze ommision seems like an error to
> > me, so can we just kill this ifdef and make sure we are the same
> > everywhere?
> >
> Where did you find it?
> I haven't seen in in mainline (noMMU kernel). It is in my MMU patches
> which I want to send for review soon.

USE_ELF_CORE_DUMP is defined in arch/x86/include/*/elf.h (or sometimes
elf_{32,64}.h) on all architectures but microblaze.

> For noMMU I use CONFIG_BINFMT_FLAT (binfmt_flat.c) where I don't need
> USE_ELF_CORE_DUMP
> For MMU I use CONFIG_BINFMT_ELF (binfmt_elf.c) where USE_ELF_CORE_DUMP
> make sense to me.

USE_ELF_CORE_DUMP only comes into play if CONFIG_ELF_CORE is set, so in
the mmu example above.  These two are in fact always checked together,
so not setting USE_ELF_CORE_DUMP is an obscure way to disable elf core
dumps despite CONFIG_ELF_CORE being set.