Date:	Wed, 22 Apr 2009 10:21:16 +0200
From:	Benjamin Herrenschmidt <benh@...nel.crashing.org>
To:	Kyle Moffett <kyle@...fetthome.net>
Cc:	Josh Boyer <jwboyer@...ux.vnet.ibm.com>,
	netdev <netdev@...r.kernel.org>,
	"Linux-Kernel@...r. Kernel. Org" <linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org>,
	linuxppc-dev@...abs.org
Subject: Re: Porting the ibm_newemac driver to use phylib (and other
 PHY/MAC questions)

On Mon, 2009-04-20 at 20:10 -0400, Kyle Moffett wrote:
> > IIRC, Ben had some issues with how phylib and the EMAC would need to
> > interact.  Not sure if he has those written down somewhere or not.
> > (CC'd).
>
> Hmm, yeah, I'd be interested to see those.  There's enough similar
> between phylib and the EMAC and sungem drivers that I'm considering a
> series of somewhat-mechanical patches to make EMAC and sungem use the
> "struct phy_device" and "struct mii_bus" from phylib, possibly
> abstracting out some helper functions along the way.

Yup, emac and sungem predate phylib.

I had a quick look at what it would take to port at least emac over, the
main issue was that I want to be able to sleep (ie, take a mutex) in my
mdio read/write functions, and back then, phylib wouldn't let me do that
due to spinlock and timer/softirq usage.

Ben.