Date:	Sat, 16 May 2009 19:06:53 -0700 (PDT)
From:	Linus Torvalds <torvalds@...ux-foundation.org>
To:	Ozan Çağlayan <ozan@...dus.org.tr>
cc:	"Rafael J. Wysocki" <rjw@...k.pl>,
	Adrian Bunk <bunk@...nel.org>,
	Natalie Protasevich <protasnb@...il.com>,
	Greg Kroah-Hartman <gregkh@...e.de>,
	Kay Sievers <kay.sievers@...y.org>
Subject: Re: 2.6.30-rc6: Reported regressions from 2.6.29

On Sun, 17 May 2009, Ozan Çağlayan wrote:

> The patch[0] from Andrew fixed the problem.

Yeah, but that's the patch that I think isn't the long-term solution (ie
other drievrs will do things like this too).

Also, I'm not 100% convinced it's even the right one for cmos-rtc,
although I can't really judge. The thing is, even if the
pnp_register_driver() call fails, I'm not at all sure that we shouldn't
just continue. I suspect we might still want to do the
platform_driver_probe regardless of any PnP issues.

I dunno. What I _do_ know is that I'd be happier of

	pnp_register_driver(&driver);
	pnp_unregister_driver(&driver);

always worked without oopsing, regardless of whether the registration
worked or not. Whether the rtc-cmos driver shold do that is then a
secondary issue.

The whole PnP thing has been broken several times, look for example at
commit 72f22b1eb6ca5e4676a632a04d40d46cb61d4562. That one introduced the
whole "do the platform driver regardless of any PnP driver issues", which
makes me suspect we really shouldn't return early just because of some
random pnp issue.

			Linus