Date:	Mon, 18 May 2009 08:52:34 +0100
From:	Richard Kennedy <richard@....demon.co.uk>
To:	Takashi Iwai <tiwai@...e.de>
Cc:	perex@...ex.cz, lkml <linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org>
Subject: Re: regression in 2.6.30-rc6 -- via82xx sound very quiet

On Mon, 2009-05-18 at 08:04 +0200, Takashi Iwai wrote:
> At Sun, 17 May 2009 21:38:03 +0100,
> Richard Kennedy wrote:
> >
> > On Sun, 2009-05-17 at 19:16 +0200, Takashi Iwai wrote:

> > > Try to correct "DXS Playback Volume" mixer elements.
> > > The dB range of these volumes were fixed recently to the correct
> > > values.  If the old mixer value is restored using the dB value,
> > > it would be restored to a much lower value, which explains your
> > > symptom.
> > >
> > > Simply set these volumes to the max (i.e. 0dB) and never change unless
> > > you really need them.
> > >

> > > thanks,
> > >
> > > Takashi
> >
> > Hi Takashi,
> >
> > thanks for that. Yes that works.
>
> Thanks for checking.
>
> > I didn't even know I had that control, so I guess this could be a common
> > problem.
>
> Yes, unfortunately, it would hit to many via82xx ac97 chips.
> As the original value was wrong, it can't be corrected so easily from
> the driver side.  Manual corrections seem needed, but just only once.
>

> Takashi

Yes it's easy to do.
But it would be nice if we could give the users a hint as to what's gone
wrong. Would it be ok to add a log message at startup ?

something like "your DXS volume control may need reseting".

I'm not sure how much of this hardware is out there, but it may help
reduce the number of bug reports.

regards
Richard