Date:	Tue, 19 May 2009 20:38:42 +0200
From:	Niel Lambrechts <niel.lambrechts@...il.com>
To:	linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org
Subject: BUG: blank screen - unless keyboard/synaptic combo

Hi there,

I have a strange problem in that during a resume from hibernate my text
console (or X) remains blank - that is, until I simultaneously press a
keyboard key and touch the synaptic pad.

It is not sufficient to press just one or the other, it needs to be done
simultaneously and it resumes fine after doing this. I might be wrong
but to me actually looks like the first resume script
(/usr/lib/pm-utils/sleep.d/99info) is only invoked after this
"recovery", since I notice a "Resuming" message without a command-line
prompt in the first few seconds after recovery, so it has just started
or is still executing the resume scripts.

After the grub menu, the laptop will actually display vesafb output
(vga=791) until just after 100% loading of the hibernation image, then
the display will go blank. The laptop is a Lenovo W500 with 'hybrid'
graphics, and the Intel Mobile 4 integrated adapter is set to active.

This happens in 2.6.28, 2.6.29 and up to 2.6.30-rc6. I have had a slight
few occurrences where this did not happen (not recently), but I could
never find an explanation for the difference.

I eventually gave up on bisecting this, but it definitely still happened
in bisects just after ext4dev was renamed to ext4 somewhere after 2.6.27.

Any ideas on what I can do next? I have even tried enabling extra ACPI
debugging, but I simply do not see any debugging messages happen during
that key/synaptic combination.

Would the fact that it happens in a text console session perhaps imply
that it is ACPI or vesafb related?

Thanks in advance!
Niel

View attachment "pm-suspend.log" of type "text/x-log" (9963 bytes)

View attachment "messages" of type "text/plain" (12711 bytes)