Date:	Tue, 26 May 2009 01:03:00 +0200
From:	Richard Atterer <richard@...9.atterer.net>
To:	Bartlomiej Zolnierkiewicz <bzolnier@...il.com>,
	linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org, "Rafael J. Wysocki" <rjw@...k.pl>,
	Kernel Testers List <kernel-testers@...r.kernel.org>
Cc:	Thadeu Lima de Souza Cascardo <cascardo@...oscopio.com>,
	Auke Kok <auke-jan.h.kok@...el.com>
Subject: Re: [Bug #13371] s2disk hangs with kernel 2.6.29 and later, SATA,
	Gigabyte EG45M-DS2H - culprit found

Hello,

"Jerry" contacted me off-list with information about the root of the
problem - many thanks indeed!!!

It turns out that the e100 driver is responsible. (The motherboard actually
has a r8169 chip, but I added an old Intel PCI ethernet card I own.)

By rmmoding e100 before s2disk, the problem goes away. Jerry mentions that
he once saw a message about e100 failing to load its microcode - I never
saw such a message.

The most recent e100 commit ac7c992 by Thadeu Lima de Souza Cascardo (Apr
28) made some changes to the behaviour in the case of shutdown vs. suspend,
maybe the problem is there? (But note that during bisecting, I tested
kernels older than that commit, and not all of them worked.) Before that,
f902283 (Mar 3 2008) mentions suspend in the log message.

Cheers,

  Richard

--
  __   _
  |_) /|  Richard Atterer     |  GnuPG key: 888354F7
  | \/¯|  http://atterer.net  |  08A9 7B7D 3D13 3EF2 3D25  D157 79E6 F6DC 8883 54F7
  ¯ '` ¯