Date:	Mon, 01 Jun 2009 12:40:25 -0400
From:	Rik van Riel <riel@...hat.com>
To:	J Louis <handstogether8@...il.com>
CC:	linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org
Subject: Re: Linux scheduler capabilities for batch jobs.

J Louis wrote:

> If it was possible to tell
> the scheduler that it was OK not to be fair when scheduling these
> processes, I think the total runtime could be reduced if it put some
> of the processes to sleep while others completed.  Is there a way to
> tell the scheduler it is allowed to do this?  Should there be?

There is no way to do this currently, but I suspect that it
would not be too difficult to add.

Of course, if you have two tasks that are each a little larger
than memory, your idea could lead to one of the processes being
starved forever.  This is probably not acceptable :)

In fact, one single batch process that is swapping could trigger
the algorithm you described, halting itself.  Your idea would
need very carefuly implementation to avoid these kinds of issues,
but I believe it could definately be done.

--
All rights reversed.