Date:	Thu, 18 Jun 2009 01:02:21 +0000 (UTC)
From:	Jason Lynch <jason@...indora.com>
To:	linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org
Subject:  Re: [BUG?,FEATURE?] One core idles with 4 nice and 1 regular
 process

On Tue, 16 Jun 2009 19:09:59 +0000, Jason Lynch wrote:
> If I can provide any additional information to help, I'll be happy to
> oblige.

I discovered a post on lkml from last October, wherein a user reports
what sounds like the same issue on 2.6.25.9.

http://article.gmane.org/gmane.linux.kernel/748316/

In addition, Ubuntu's current 2.6.28 kernel appears to be immune from the
problem, suggesting a possible configuration issue, or at least an option
that can trigger/avoid the problem. However, comparing the configs is
difficult due to the number of added, changed, and removed options
between kernel versions. The differences that stood out in my initial
comparisons were CONFIG_RT_GROUP_SCHED and CONFIG_CPUSETS, but I haven't
yet had an opportunity to test either of them, and neither sounds
especially promising.

I won't personally be able to do any more extensive kernel testing for
perhaps a couple of weeks. However, if this is merely a configuration
issue, it seems rather opaque to me, as I can't imagine this behavior
being desirable in any case.