Date:	Mon, 20 Jul 2009 09:06:36 -0600
From:	Robert Hancock <hancockrwd@...il.com>
To:	linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org
Subject:  Re: Disk access just before shutdown power off.

On 07/20/2009 07:34 AM, James Courtier-Dutton wrote:
> Hi,
>
> When I shutdown my Linux laptop, it does an orderly shutdown with quite
> a lot of HD activity during shutdown which eventually stops when the
> screen goes blank. Then there is some delay (5-10 seconds) and then a
> quick flurry of HD access just before it powers itself off.
> Why is this last bit of HD access needed?
> Surely, if the system is shut down enough to not use the screen any
> more, why does it need the HD?
> I am asking, because it would be nice to disable this need of the HD
> just before it powers itself off. This would allow me to lift up the
> laptop just a bit earlier and place it in my backpack when the screen
> blanks without having to worry about HD failure due to shock.
> I think it would be nicer if the HD would shut itself down just before
> the screen goes blank.

It's not clear exactly what point in the shutdown process the screen
going blank corresponds to. Do you have the kernel output going to the
console during the shutdown process? If not, enabling that might be
useful to tell what's going on.

The last thing the kernel does with the disk before power-off is flush
the cache and tell it to go into standby mode. It seems like some disks
are dumb enough to spin up as a result even if there's nothing to flush
and it was already spun down. Also, in some cases the BIOS decides to
issue its own such commands after the OS tells it to power down, which
can have similar results. I believe there's a blacklist of system models
that are set to skip the kernel standby issuing to avoid the double
spin-down.