Date:	Fri, 31 Jul 2009 09:33:05 +0900
From:	KAMEZAWA Hiroyuki <kamezawa.hiroyu@...fujitsu.com>
To:	David Rientjes <rientjes@...gle.com>
Cc:	Andrew Morton <akpm@...ux-foundation.org>,
	Rik van Riel <riel@...hat.com>,
	Paul Menage <menage@...gle.com>,
	KOSAKI Motohiro <kosaki.motohiro@...fujitsu.com>,
	linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org, linux-mm@...ck.org
Subject: Re: [patch -mm v2] mm: introduce oom_adj_child

On Thu, 30 Jul 2009 12:05:30 -0700 (PDT)
David Rientjes <rientjes@...gle.com> wrote:

> On Thu, 30 Jul 2009, KAMEZAWA Hiroyuki wrote:
>
> > > If you have suggestions for a better name, I'd happily ack it.
> > >

> > Simply, reset_oom_adj_at_new_mm_context or some.
> >

> I think it's preferred to keep the name relatively short which is an
> unfortuante requirement in this case.  I also prefer to start the name
> with "oom_adj" so it appears alongside /proc/pid/oom_adj when listed
> alphabetically.

But misleading name is bad.

> > > Alternate ideas?
> > >
> > At brief thiking.
> >
> > 1. move oom_adj from mm_struct to signal struct. or somewhere.
> >    (see copy_signal())
> >    Then,
> >     - all threads in a process will have the same oom_adj.
> >     - vfork()'ed thread will inherit its parent's oom_adj.
> >     - vfork()'ed thread can override oom_adj of its own.
> >
> >     In other words, oom_adj is shared when CLONE_PARENT is not set.
> >

> Hmm, didn't we talk about signal_struct already?  The problem with that
> approach is that oom_adj values represent a killable quantity of memory,
> so having multiple threads sharing the same mm_struct with one set to
> OOM_DISABLE and the other at +15 will still livelock because the oom
> killer can't kill either.
>
> > 2. rename  mm_struct's oom_adj as shadow_oom_adj.
> >
> >    update this shadow_oom_adj as the highest oom_adj among
> >    the values all threads share this mm_struct have.
> >    This update is done when
> >    - mm_init()
> >    - oom_adj is written.
> >
> >    User's
> >    # echo XXXX > /proc/<x>/oom_adj
> >    is not necessary to be very very fast.
> >
> >    I don't think a process which calls vfork() is multi-threaded.
> >
> > 3. use shadow_oom_adj in select_bad_process().
> >

> Ideas 2 & 3 here seem to be a single proposal.  The problem is that it
> still leaves /proc/pid/oom_score to be inconsistent with the badness
> scoring that the oom killer will eventually use since if it oom kills one
> task, it must kill all tasks sharing the same mm_struct to lead to future
> memory freeing.

yes.

> Additionally, if you were to set one thread to OOM_DISABLE, storing the
> highest oom_adj value in mm_struct isn't going to help because
> oom_kill_task() will still require a tasklist scan to ensure no threads
> sharing the mm_struct are OOM_DISABLE and the livelock persists.

Why don't you think select_bad_process()-> oom_kill_task() implementation is bad ?
IMHO, it's bad manner to fix an os-implementation problem by adding _new_ user
interface which is hard to understand.

> In other words, the issue here is larger than the inheritance of the
> oom_adj value amongst children, it addresses a livelock that neither of
> your approaches solve.  The fix actually makes /proc/pid/oom_adj (and
> /proc/pid/oom_score) consistent with how the oom killer behaves.

This oom_adj_child itself is not related to livelock problem. Don't make
the problem bigger than it is.
oom_adj_child itself is just a problem how to handle vfork().

Thanks,
-Kame