Date:	Fri, 7 Aug 2009 15:57:30 +0100
From:	Chris Clayton <chris2553@...glemail.com>
To:	"John W. Linville" <linville@...driver.com>
Cc:	Frans Pop <elendil@...net.nl>, linux-wireless@...r.kernel.org,
	linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org
Subject: Re: ath5k - strange regulatory domain change

Hi John,

2009/8/7 John W. Linville <linville@...driver.com>:
> On Fri, Aug 07, 2009 at 01:56:43PM +0100, Chris Clayton wrote:
>> Thanks Frans,

>> > This issue has already been discussed extensively (after I reported it).
>> > Please see the following thread: http://lkml.org/lkml/2009/7/8/421. It
>> > contains a lot of information from the wireless maintainers.
>> >

>> To sum this up then (as I understand things):
>>
>> 1. I am the system administrator (root);
>> 2. I am using a valid (albeit deprecated from 2.6.31) method to tell
>> the wireless infrastructure that I want the regulatory domain set to
>> GB;
>> 3. GB is a valid code; and
>> 4. the wireless infrastructure sets the regulatory domain to CN.
>> 5. in 2.6.30, the wireless infrastructure does what I (the root user)
>> tell it to do.
>>
>> That's a regression in my book. Oh well! I do have the iw and crda
>> applications installed, so I've taken that route of setting the
>> regulatory domain to GB.
>
> Are you actually getting the wrong regulatory rules enforced?  Or are
> you merely bothered that it is reporting "CN" instead of "GB"?

I'm not sure whether it's wrong or not. To these dmesg snippets from
my original post look wrong because one of the frequency ranges listed
for CN is outside those listed for GB and one of the CN max_eirp
entries is not preent in the GB list. Whether that is OK or not I
don't know and can't find (lay user) documentation to tell me.

cfg80211: Regulatory domain changed to country: GB
        (start_freq - end_freq @ bandwidth), (max_antenna_gain, max_eirp)
        (2402000 KHz - 2482000 KHz @ 40000 KHz), (N/A, 2000 mBm)
        (5170000 KHz - 5250000 KHz @ 40000 KHz), (N/A, 2000 mBm)
        (5250000 KHz - 5330000 KHz @ 40000 KHz), (N/A, 2000 mBm)
        (5490000 KHz - 5710000 KHz @ 40000 KHz), (N/A, 2700 mBm)

cfg80211: Regulatory domain changed to country: CN
        (start_freq - end_freq @ bandwidth), (max_antenna_gain, max_eirp)
        (2402000 KHz - 2482000 KHz @ 40000 KHz), (N/A, 2000 mBm)
        (5735000 KHz - 5835000 KHz @ 40000 KHz), (N/A, 3000 mBm)

Thanks

Chris

--
No, Sir; there is nothing which has yet been contrived by man, by which
so much happiness is produced as by a good tavern or inn - Doctor Samuel