Date:	Mon, 17 Aug 2009 18:24:26 -0700
From:	Tim Bird <tim.bird@...sony.com>
To:	David Miller <davem@...emloft.net>
CC:	r.schwebel@...gutronix.de, vda.linux@...glemail.com,
	linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org, linux-embedded@...r.kernel.org,
	arjan@...ux.intel.com, kernel@...gutronix.de,
	netdev@...r.kernel.org
Subject: Re: new ipdelay= option for faster netboot

David Miller wrote:
> From: Tim Bird <tim.bird@...sony.com>
> Date: Mon, 17 Aug 2009 15:35:01 -0700
>
>> Tim Bird wrote:
>>> See the definitions of CONF_PRE_OPEN and CON_POST_OPEN
>>> in net/ipv4/ipconfig.c
>>>
>>> They are set to ridiculously long values.  In my experience,
>>> you can cut them down considerably with no dangerous side
>>> effects (but I haven't asked the network guys about the
>>> possible downsides).
>> It turns out that others have seen this delay.  Simon
>> Arlott recently posted a patch to make the delay avoidable
>> at boot time from the kernel command line.
>>
>> See http://patchwork.kernel.org/patch/31678/
>
> "Rediculiously long" is a relative term.
No offense intended.  I could have phrased this
better.  The delays were a few orders of
magnitude longer than apparently needed, on my
embedded test systems with ethernet.  I didn't
try eliminating them completely, as in the Arlott patch.

1.5 seconds is a long time for me.  My bootup time budget for
the kernel ranges from 0.5 to 3.0 seconds, depending on the
product.

> I have card/switch combinations that take up to 10 seconds to
> negotiate a proper link.

What types of delays are these timeouts supposed to
cover?  Networking delays or hardware bring-up delays?
(Or both)?  If for networking delays, is this for all
types of networks, or just some (e.g. ones that create
virtual circuits)?

I'm trying to get a sense for whether the card/switch
combinations that would take this long would be encountered
in the types of embedded devices I code for.  (TVs, camcorders,
etc.)

> So what's there now is actually a quite agressive setting.
>
> And BTW, discussions about stuff like this belong on
> netdev@...r.kernel.org, which has been added to the CC:

I was going to wait to see if this solved Robert's
problem, before widening the discussion.  But I'm happy
to find out more about these delays now.

Thanks,
 -- Tim