Date:	Mon, 24 Aug 2009 13:20:40 +1000
From:	Paul Mackerras <paulus@...ba.org>
To:	Ingo Molnar <mingo@...e.hu>
Cc:	Martin Schwidefsky <schwidefsky@...ibm.com>, dwalker@...o99.com,
	mingo@...hat.com, hpa@...or.com, linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org,
	johnstul@...ibm.com, tglx@...utronix.de,
	linux-tip-commits@...r.kernel.org
Subject: Re: [tip:timers/core] timekeeping: Increase granularity of
	read_persistent_clock()

Ingo Molnar writes:

> Do you ask Linus to rebase the upstream kernel as well, if the
> powerpc or x86 build happens to break? There's more than a dozen
> such cases per development cycle triggering on my tests alone. If
> not, why not?

I see you pulling commits out of the tip tree quite often, when they
have testing failures of various kinds.  I presume that, like other
maintainers, you have some branches that you try hard not to rebase
and other testing branches that are quite volatile and get
reconstructed frequently (though I don't know what branch names you
use for them).

I presumed that you wouldn't have put a commit that hadn't even passed
basic build testing into one of your non-rebasing branches.  That's
why I assumed you could fold the fix into the original patch without
difficulty.

> The thing is, we'll probably redo this portion of the timer tree as
> i found other problems in testing, but generally the disadvantages
> of a build breakage with a very small non-bisectability window has
> to be weighed against the disadvantages of a rebase (which are
> significant).
>
> The equation does not automatically flip in favor of a rebase as you
> seem to suggest - in fact it generally goes _against_ a rebase.

In a stable, non-rebasing branch, sure.  But putting untested patches
into such a branch would be a bit silly, so I assumed you hadn't done
that. :)

Paul.