Date:	Tue, 1 Sep 2009 12:08:45 +0530
From:	"K.Prasad" <prasad@...ux.vnet.ibm.com>
To:	Ingo Molnar <mingo@...e.hu>
Cc:	Frederic Weisbecker <fweisbec@...il.com>,
	Peter Zijlstra <peterz@...radead.org>,
	LKML <linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org>,
	Lai Jiangshan <laijs@...fujitsu.com>,
	Steven Rostedt <rostedt@...dmis.org>,
	Mathieu Desnoyers <mathieu.desnoyers@...ymtl.ca>,
	Alan Stern <stern@...land.harvard.edu>,
	Paul Mackerras <paulus@...ba.org>,
	David Gibson <dwg@....ibm.com>
Subject: Re: [Patch 0/1] HW-BKPT: Allow per-cpu kernel-space Hardware
	Breakpoint requests

On Sat, Aug 29, 2009 at 03:41:07PM +0200, Ingo Molnar wrote:

> * K.Prasad <prasad@...ux.vnet.ibm.com> wrote:
>
> > I am not sure if pmus can handle, (or want to handle) all the
> > intricacies involved with the hw-breakpoint layer [...]
>
> Which are those intricacies? It's all rather straightforward
> register scheduling and reservation stuff - which perfcounters
> already solves in a very rich way.
>
> 	Ingo

While it is quite true that debug register scheduling and reservation
(using exclusive/pinned properties) are possible through the perf's
implementation, breakpoint exception handling and a provision to invoke
user-defined callback require an extension to the existing perf
implementation (which allows only counting and sampling upon an event,
as I presently understand).

Breakpoint exception handling involving tasks such as filtering stray
exceptions (arising out of breakpoint length limitations), user-defined
callback invocation and signal generation are, as I see not in common
with perf-counter's functionality. And on architectures like PPC64 whose
exception behaviour is 'trigger-before-execute' making it difficult to
bring a 'continuous-trigger' behaviour, sufficient interlocking is necessary
with single-step exception (required for a
bkpt_exception-->disable_bp-->single_step-->enable_bp-->invoke_callback+signal
process).

And post integration, in-kernel users like ptrace, kgdb* and xmon*
which hitherto have interacted directly with the debug registers
(through set_debugreg()/set_dabr()) should route their requests through the
perf-layer. It is difficult to imagine ptrace's idempotent requests
(through ptrace_<get><set>_debugreg()) having to pass through perf-layer
(and becoming dependant on CONFIG_PERF_COUNTERS), not to mention the
tricks required to synchronise signal generation timing with exception
behaviour (especially on PPC64).
* - Not converted to use hw-breakpoint layer yet

With debugging and performance monitoring being two primary uses of
hw-breakpoints (apart from the many niche uses that one can think of),
it would be prudent to retain the breakpoints as a separate layer
allowing exploitation by applications with either needs than to tightly
integrate with perf-counters.

With plenty of users exploiting the breakpoint layer's debugging
capabilities - like SystemTap http://lwn.net/Articles/343581/
(extensible for user-space), ftrace, ptrace and potentially gdbstub
(http://tinyurl.com/gdbstub-prototype), it is but a sad state to keep
the hw-breakpoint layer waiting in-queue for want of performance
monitoring (through perf-counter exploitation/integration).

Thanks,
K.Prasad