Date:	Fri, 11 Sep 2009 11:46:09 -0400
From:	"Richard B. Johnson" <RJohnson@...te495Software.com>
To:	"\"Mark Hounschell\"" <dmarkh@....rr.com>
Cc:	<linux-pci@...r.kernel.org>, "Mark Hounschell" <dmarkh@....rr.com>,
	<linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org>
Subject: Re: problems doing direct dma from a pci device to pci-e device

----- Original Message -----
From: "Mark Hounschell" <markh@...pro.net>
To: "Alan Cox" <alan@...rguk.ukuu.org.uk>
Cc: <linux-pci@...r.kernel.org>; "Mark Hounschell" <dmarkh@....rr.com>;
<linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org>
Sent: Friday, September 11, 2009 11:25 AM

> Alan Cox wrote:
>>> I now have an AM3 based DFI DK 790FXB-M3H5 motherboard. This board has 3
>>> regular
>>> PCI slots and 3 PCI-E (16x) slots. I also have a PCI-E (x4) version of
>>> the VMIC-5565
>>> reflective memory  card in one of the PCI-E slots and our gpiohsd card
>>> in one of the regular
>>> PCI slots. All on the motherboard. No expansion slots being used.
>>> However I cannot get
>>> data from our gpiohsd into the PCI-E VMIC-5565 cards memory. I can
>>> certainly get the data there
>>> from a userland buffer, no problem. Just not from one card to the other
>>> directly. Oh and when
>>> I put the regular PCI version of the VMIC into one of the regular PCI
>>> slots everything works
>>> as expected. They are then both on the same PCI bus and no bridges are
>>> involved though.

The read I mentioned was a read immediately following the DMA operation.
Some PCI (PCI-X using
a HyperTransport serial bus) implimentations deliberately time-out to
prevent a hung system. The result
that I've seen was no data anywhere. It just vanished!

Reading the destination a few milliseconds (or seconds) later won't prevent
this timeout!

Cheers,
Richard B. Johnson
http://Route495Software.com/