Date:	Wed, 23 Sep 2009 17:05:23 +0200
From:	Mike Galbraith <efault@....de>
To:	Avi Kivity <avi@...hat.com>
Cc:	Arnaldo Carvalho de Melo <acme@...hat.com>, rostedt@...dmis.org,
	LKML <linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org>, Ingo Molnar <mingo@...e.hu>,
	Mathieu Desnoyers <mathieu.desnoyers@...ymtl.ca>,
	Frederic Weisbecker <fweisbec@...il.com>,
	Thomas Gleixner <tglx@...utronix.de>,
	Masami Hiramatsu <mhiramat@...hat.com>
Subject: Re: [patch] Re: [perf] Finding uninstalled modules Was Re: mailing
 list for trace users

On Wed, 2009-09-23 at 17:56 +0300, Avi Kivity wrote:
> On 09/23/2009 05:52 PM, Mike Galbraith wrote:
> >
> >> The trace shows modules.dep was picked up from /lib/modules/2.6.31, so
> >> if it continued that and picked up the modules from the same place,
> >> everything would work.  Why does it try to pick up the modules from cwd?
> >>
> > I don't know where that cwd is coming from off the top of my head.
> >
> > The symbol loading code reads the path stored in modules.dep, and chops
> > at ':'.
> >

> Well, you don't need to do anything to open a file from cwd: that's the
> default.  You need to actively prepend /lib/modules/blah to get it to
> load from the correct location.  What I don't understand is why it is
> only hitting me (esp. as it used to work).

If your modules.dep, always was missing the /lib/modules/blah bit, it
never worked for you.  I wrote the thing with the rash assumption that
it always contained full path like mine does :)

So, I just need to check whether it's full path or not, prepend or take
the path as is, and hope there aren't several other ways to get screwed
up by modules.dep content.

Too bad the kernel doesn't store the path in /sys/modules/bla/path.
That would be nicer than rummaging around in a mutable file.

	-Mike